Erath County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Erath County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Erath County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 25, 1856|
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Obituaries
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Erath County Courthouse
100 W Washington Street
Stephenville, TX 76401
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1869 probate records from
1876 and land records from 1867
100 W. Washington
112 W College
Erath County, Texas Record Dates
1854--Permanent settlers arrived in Stephenville in 1854.
- County seat: Stephenville 
1866--Courthouse and most of the county records were destroyed by fire in the summer of 1866.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- 1865-1870 Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records (images) - FamilySearch
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|FindAGrave||Family History Library||FindAGrave|
|BillionGraves (name)||Cemeteries of TX|
|GenWeb Archives||Texas Cemeteries|
|Names in Stone||Interment|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Erath County Cemetery Photographs ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County Cemeteries, transcriptions and photographs of each headstone for: Beth Haven, Cow Creek, Lowell, Lower School Hill, Round Grove, School Hill, and Victor Cemeteries and Old Dublin Memorial Park.
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- 1856-1857 Tax Rolls ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census, partial ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census -Prect 2 Page 115-Davies ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census - Prect 1 Pages 1A-21B ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
- Erath County Churches ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
- Erath County Court Records ~ TXGenWeb
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1906-1989 Texas, Naturalization Records — index and images
Local histories are available for Erath County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Biographies of Erath County Residents ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Erath County Map ~ TXGenWeb
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- 1838 - 1900 - Texas Muster Roll Index Cards at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- CSA Indigent Families ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- CSA Pension List ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
World War I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Erath County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Erath County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries (Ancestry)
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800–1990 Texas Probate Records at FamilySearch — images
- 1800–2000 Texas Wills and Probate Records at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
- 1856-1857 Tax Rolls ~ TXGenWeb
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- 1903-1935 Texas, Birth Certificates (images and index) - FamilySearch
- 1903-1997 Texas Birth Index (index)- FamilySearch
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- 1802-2010 Texas, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 Texas Marriage Collection at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1837-1965 Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1965 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1837-1973 Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837-1977 Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837-1977 Texas Select County Marriage Index at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1966-2005 Texas Marriage Records - Hidden Ancestors
- 1966-2010 Texas, Marriages - FamilySearch record collection
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1890-1976 Texas Death Records [with images] Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- 1903-1973 Texas Deaths and Burials (index) - FamilySearch
- 1903-1982 Texas Death Certificates at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1903-2000 Texas, Death Index, 1903-2000 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1964-1998 Texas Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- 1977-1986 Texas Deaths at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2005 Texas Divorce Records Hidden Ancestors
- 1968-2010 Texas Divorce Index at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2011 Texas Divorces at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1850-1930 USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Erath County Genealogical Society
174 North Columbia
Erath County Genealogical Society
Dublin Public Library
206 W Blackjack St
Dublin, TX 76446
Telephone Number: 254-445-4141
Stephenville Public Library
174 N Columbia St
Stephenville, TX 76401
Telephone Number: 254-918-1240
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Erath County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- FamilySearch Catalog The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Erath County, Texas. Page 663 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).