England and Wales Census, 1861 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
England and Wales Census, 1861
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|England and Wales|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Wales|
|The National Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes information from the 1861 census for England, Wales, Isle of Man and Channel Islands showing population as of 7 April 1861. This data has been provided by Findmypast.com. The information gathered by the census taker is only as reliable as the person who provided the information. While some information may not be completely accurate, it can still provide important clues in locating an ancestor.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. This collection is available at the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. These images may be viewable to users who have contributed to the FamilySearch Indexing effort. Learn how to be a part of FamilySearch indexing here. The images are also available to all viewers for a fee at Findmypast. For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England and Wales Census, 1861.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The records will include the following:
- Relationship to the head of the household
- Marital status
- Where born
- Registration district
Sample of indexed information:
How Do I Search This Collection?
If you do not know what registration district you need, find your location in: UK BMD Registration Districts In England and Wales.
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate location of residence
Search the Index
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England and Wales census, 1861. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find additional family members in other censuses
- Use the ages listed to determine an approximate birth date and to find other records such as birth, marriage, christening, and death records
- Birth places can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking for, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Check for other names. They might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try searching based on how the name may have been pronounced
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in England.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Wales.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- England and Wales Census, 1861." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 29 September 2016. From "1861 England, Scotland and Wales census." Database and images. findmypast. http://www.findmypast.com : n.d. Citing PRO RG 9. The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.