England Research Tips and Strategies
From FamilySearch Wiki
|England Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Research Tips and Strategies
England Research Strategies
- I want to find a birth, christening or baptism.
- I want to find a marriage.
- I want to find a death or burial.
- I want to know about how my family lived.
- Search strategies for finding births, marriages and deaths
- Medieval Research
- Online genealogy records
England Research Tips
- Look in all censuses: Always look for your ancestor in every possible census. There are clues regarding immigration, naturalization, and occupation that can lead to other records. Sometimes parents can be found living with their children later in life. Search England censuses.
- The English call tombstones "monumental inscriptions" (or M.I.s). Monumental inscriptions may provide birth, marriage, and death information. They sometimes give more information than the parish burial register or civil death certificate—information such as military service, occupation, or cause of death. England Cemeteries.
England Record Finder
This Record Finder is designed to help you determine the best record to search for the type of information you are looking for. It is most helpful for post-1850 research.
To look for more England records, go here.