England Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
England Deaths and Burials
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Location of England in the United Kingdom|
|Record Type||Deaths and Burials|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This index is an electronic index for the years 1538 to 1991. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records include the following:
- Date and place of burial
The records may also include:
- Marital status
- Name of a relative, such as a spouse or parents
- Date of birth
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample image of an indexed record:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the deceased
- Approximate date of death
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Detailed information may list similar historical records which may contain other information such as birth date. There may be a link to the original record which may contain more information not found in the index
- Use the information to locate funeral home, obituary or cemetery record
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, land and probate records
- Continue to search the index for family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- Check for other names. They might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname or an abbreviation of their given name
- Search the records of nearby locations
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try searching based on how the name may have been pronounced
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in England.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.