England, Norfolk Register of Electors - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1832-1915
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Norfolk|
|Location of Norfolk, England|
|Location of England|
|Record Type||Register of Electors|
|Norfolk Record Office|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains electoral registers from the county of Norfolk for the years 1832-1915. These registers kept track of the individuals who qualified to vote in the national and local elections every year. Before 1884, registers were arranged by polling district and then alphabetically by surname; after 1884, they were arranged by polling district and then by street.
Electoral registers historically did not have the most widespread coverage. Even by 1867, they included only about 11 percent of the population. Women do not appear on these records at all, as they did not receive the right to vote until 1918.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1832-1915.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Township of registration
- Full name of voter
- Voter's place of residence (abode)
- Why qualified to vote
- Name and location of property
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Date of the record
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Division
- Select Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1844-1952. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Save or print a copy of the image whenever possible
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The online index entry only lists the most basic information found in a record; the original may contain further information which was not included in the index
- If in the appropriate period, use the information you have found to find the individual in civil or church records
- Use the location of the land and the information listed under the “nature of qualifications” to locate land tax assessments and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try variations of given names and surnames. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of search results
- Search the records of nearby locations
- Suffolk to the south
- Cambridgeshire to the west
- Lincolnshire to the northwest
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Norfolk.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.