England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Location of Lancashire, England|
|Record Type||Cemetery Registers|
|Oldham Council - Hollinworth Cemetery Office|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains records from the city of Oldham for the years 1797-2004. The records come from multiple cemeteries, including Hollinwood, Failsworth, Royton, Crompton, Chadderton, Lees, and Greenacres.
Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot. The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
Now incorporated into the Greater Manchester metropolis, Oldham is a fairly recent English city. Prior to the period of this collection, it was a somewhat unimportant site, but it rose to prominence during the nineteenth century as a major industrial center. For a list of parishes historically belonging to this city, see the Oldham Parishes page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Cemetery records include some of the following:
- Name of deceased
- Age of deceased
- Date and place where death occurred
- Date and place of burial
- Grave number
- Plot owner's name
- Religious preference
Stillborn registers include:
- Grave number
- Names of the parents
- Name of the person bringing the child and their residence
- Date of the burial
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- Approximate date of death
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Cemetery Name
- Select Record Type, Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Save or print a copy of the image if possible
- If an age is given, estimate a birth year to search for a birth record
- Search for a civil death record
- If a spouse or other family member is identified, look for the family in prior censuses
- Based on his age and date of burial, you may be able to estimate a marriage date and look for marriage records
- Continue to search the index for people with the same surname to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names
- Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record
- It was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible matches
- Search the records of nearby parishes
- Consult the England Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 13 January 2017. Hollinwood Cemetery, Oldham, England.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.