England, Kent, Register of Electors (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Kent|
|Location of Kent, England|
|Record Type||Register of Electors|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of Register of Electors for the county of Kent. This collection also contains a few militia muster rolls for Faversham. Availability of records varies by year and locality.
Electoral rolls have been published annually since 1928. Most electoral rolls list everyone over 18 in a household.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Images in this collection are available for viewing if you are a registered FamilySearch user. You can register for a free FamilySearch account here. These images can also be viewed online by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, at a Family History Center near you, or the Family History Library. The images are also viewable to users who have contributed to the FamilySearch Indexing effort. Learn how to be a part of FamilySearch indexing here.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907.|
Register of Electors generally contain the following information:
- Name of Proprietor
- Name of Occupier
- Date of registration
How Do I Search This Collection?
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of voter
- Place of residence
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Division
- Select Record Type to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- As with census records, electoral rolls can determine residences of adults and when someone arrives at a residence or moves away from it
- Apprenticeship records may include the name of a parent. If this information is found, try to find the family in a census or through birth records
- Burgess rolls also indicate residence. This can lead you to civil or church records for birth, marriage, and burial
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Search the records of nearby localities
- Essex to the north
- London and Surrey to the west
- East Sussex to the south
Consult the England Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Kent Archives Office, Maidstone.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.