Eglwysbach, Conwy, Wales Genealogy
The spelling Eglwysfach is occasionally seen in some older documents.
"EGLWYS - BACH (EGLWYS-VACH), a parish chiefly in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, but comprising also the township of Maenan ... in the hundred of Llechwedd Isaf, county of Carnarvon, 6 miles (N.) from Llanrwst, on the road to Aberconway, and containing 1108 inhabitants. Its length from north to south is seven miles, and its breadth, in a transverse direction, four: the surface is very hilly, which circumstance causes a great variety of soil, some being extremely barren, and some, on the contrary, tolerably fertile, yielding good crops of corn. The village is situated in a pleasing and fertile vale watered by the river Conway, and the vicinity abounds with agreeable and richly varied scenery. ... The church, dedicated to St. Martin, was entirely rebuilt in 1782: it is a spacious edifice, with a low square tower. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, one in the township of Cevn y Coed, and the ohter in that of Bodnod; and there is one for Wesleyan Methodists, situated in the village... " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
"The parish contains the townships of Bodnod, Cefn-y-Coed, Esgorebrill, and Pennant in Denbigh, and the township of Maenan in Carnarvon." [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72 John Marius Wilson]
For more information see Eglwysbach, Denbighshire at genuki.org.uk
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Eglwysbach Parish Church at Clwyd FHS