East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1824|
|Address|| 12305 St. Helena St.|
Clinton, LA 70722
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bibles
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Marie Felice de Gálvez. The County has Clinton as its seat and the County was created 1824. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
East Feliciana Parish Courthouse
12305 Helena Street
PO Drawer 599
Clinton, LA 70722
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate,
court and land records from 1824. 
- 1824--East Feliciana Parish was created 17 February 1824 from Feliciana (Old) Parish.
Parish seat: Clinton 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Amite County, Mississippi
- East Baton Rouge
- St. Helena
- West Baton Rouge
- West Feliciana
- Wilkinson County, Mississippi
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- William H. Green Family Bible (USGenWeb Archives)
- East Feliciana Parish Biographies, A-N (Genealogy Trails)
- East Feliciana Parish Biographies, O-Z (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Biographies of East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on East Feliciana Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|East Feliciana Parish Census Data|
- East Feliciana Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- 1901-1931 - Norwood Presbyterian Church Session Minutes USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- East Feliciana Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - East Feliciana Parish Pensioners on the rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company E
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in East Feliciana Parish:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Feliciana+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- East Feliciana Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to East Feliciana Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to East Feliciana Parish Obituaries (LAGenWeb Project)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions. Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on. Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Wills of East Feliciana Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Marriage Records of East Feliciana Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- Marriage Announcements for East Feliciana Parish (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- East Feliciana Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- East Feliciana Parish Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- East Feliciana Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "East Feliciana, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Feliciana_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), East Feliciana Parish, Louisana page 290, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02. ; Report on the Population of the United States at the Eleventh Census, 1890. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1895.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State