East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to East Carroll Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|East Carroll Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 28, 1877|
|County Seat||Lake Providence|
|Address|| 400 First Street|
Lake Providence, LA 71254
East Carroll Parish Clerk of Court
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
East Carroll Parish Courthouse
400 1st Street
Lake Providence, LA 71254-2616
Parish Clerk has marriage, probate and land records
- 1877--East Carroll Parish was created 28 March 1877 from Carroll (Old) Parish.
Parish seat: Lake Providence 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Chicot County, Arkansas
- Issaquena County, Mississippi
- Warren County, Mississippi
- Washington County, Mississippi
- West Carroll
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- AtlasFamily.Org | The Blog - Genealogy Resoures for those Researching East Carroll Parish, with special emphasis on African American records.
- East Carroll Parish Slave Sales (Genealogy Trails)
- East Carroll Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to East Carroll Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on East Carroll Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|East Carroll Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- East Carroll Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1840 - East Carroll Parish 1840 Census, Head of Household (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1870 - Index to 1870 Census Sections, East Carroll Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- East Carroll Parish Churches (LAGenWeb Project)
- East Carroll Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- East Carroll Parish Deeds and Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - East Carroll Pensioner on the Roll (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Deposition of Charles Washington to a Special Examiner (Genealogy Trails)
- Roster of Company A, 31st Regiment Louisiana Infantry, Carroll Parish Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- Pension Application of Amy A. Taylor (Mrs. Thomas A. Taylor) (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 6th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in East Carroll Parish:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1940-1945 - East Carroll Parish Army and Army Air Corps Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- East Carroll Parish Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Abstracts of Naturalizations Carroll Parish, La. Book A (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- East Carroll Parish News - various news items. (Genealogy Trails)
- East Carroll Parish Newspaper Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Index to East Carroll Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- East Carroll Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- East Carroll Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1832-1858 - East Carroll Parish Marriage Book 1832 - 1858 (Partial) (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1833 - Early Deaths of Carroll Parish (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Lake Providence Historical Society
1002 South Lake St.
Lake Providence, Louisiana 71254-2428
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- East Carroll Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- East Carroll Parish, LAGenWeb Project
- East Carroll Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- East Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- East Carroll Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- East Carroll Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State