Early County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Early County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Early County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Early County Courthouse|
PO Box 849
Blakely, GA 31723
Early County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Early County, Georgia Record Dates
County CourthouseEarly County Courthouse
PO Box 849
Blakely, GA 31723
Many records lost, first marriage book start in 1854. Clerk of Court has cemetery, divorce, land, military and court records.
Clerk of Superior Court
111 Court Square Suite C
P.O. Box 849
Blakely, GA 39823
Telephone: (229) 723-3033
Fax: (229) 723-4411
Probate Court of Early County
111 Court Square, Suite D
Blakely, GA 39823
Telephone: 229 -723- 3454
1818--Early County was created 15 December 1818 from Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Blakely 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1896 The courthouse suffered a fire.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Early County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Early County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia Military - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Early County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Early County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 13th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company G
- - 51st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company A
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Whitehead, Mary Grist. 1971. Collections of Early County Historical Society. (page 170-175) 975.8962 H2c
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Early County). 1958. Confederate pensioners, 1890-1920. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 164125
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Early County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Early County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1822-1832 - Wills 1822-1832 (digital images). See names of testators Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1839-1895 - Wills 1839-1895 (digital images). See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1839-1895 - Index to Will Book B, 1839-1895 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1896-1941 - Index to Will Book 2, 1896-1941 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1820 - 1889 - Early County Marriage Index 1820-1889. Batch M712701 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1834 - 1850 - Early County Marriage Index 1834-1850. Batch M002548 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1868 - 1901 - Early County Marriage Index 1868-1901. Batch M712702 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1889 - 1895 - Early County Marriage Index 1889-1895. Batch M712703 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - US Federal Mortality Schedules at Ancestry $
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Early County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Early County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Early County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Early County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.