Duval County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Duval County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Duval County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||August 12, 1822|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Biographies
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Cities and Towns
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Duval County, Florida Record Dates
Duval County Courthouse
330 E Bay Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and
land records from 1921.
County Judge has marriage and probate records. 
The county was named for William Pope DuVal. DuVal was territorial governor from 1822-1834. Prior to European arrival, the area was inhabited by indigenous people, the Timucua and Mocama. The County Seat is Deland and the county was created 1854. The County is located in the Northeast area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Civil War and 1901 Duval County Courthouse was burned both during the Civil War, and later in 1901. The extent of the record loss is unknown.
Places / Localities
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
Biographies at Duval Co, FLGenWeb
The following web sites may have additional information on Duval County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Duval County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Panama Park
Cities and Towns
Cities and Towns of Duval Co, FLGenWeb
Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville,Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach
Emigration and Immigration
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Duval County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- British West Florida at Duval Co FLGenWeb
- History of Duval Co FLGenWeb
- History of Jacksonville Florida WorldCat
- Duval County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1883 - Duval County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1881 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Duval County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Florida.
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Index to Duval County Draft Registration - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Duval County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Duval County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Duval County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Duval County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Duval County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Duval County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1784-1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810-1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927-2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
Jacksonville Historical Society
314 North Palmetto Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202-2217
Telephone Number: 904-374-0296
Jacksonville Historical Society
100-B Wharfside Way
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Telephone Number: 904-396-6307
Southern Genealogist's Exchange Society
PO Box 2801
Jacksonville, FL 32203-2801
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Duval County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Duval County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Duval County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Duval County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Duval County, Genealogy Trails
- Duval County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Duval County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Duval County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/duval/ accessed 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Duval County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duval_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State