Durham Archives and Libraries
|Durham Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 Record Offices
- 2 Libraries
- 3 Museums
Record Offices[edit | edit source]
Durham County Record Office[edit | edit source]
- Durham County Record Office: the official archive service for County Durham and Darlington, "a mine of information."
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Durham Clayport Library[edit | edit source]
- If you would like to browse our catalogue, request an item or renew an item already on loan, please visit Library Online. This facility also offers members of the library service access to a range of websites including Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Grove Music Online and Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.
Durham Dean and Chapter Library[edit | edit source]
Durham Dean and Chapter Library (also Durham Cathedral Library)
The Cathedral Office
Durham, County Durham DH1 3EH UK
Telephone 0191 386 4266
Website: The Cathedral Library
- Durham Cathedral Library descends from the library of the monastery founded at Lindisfarne by St. Aiden in 635 AD. It is the largest in situ medieval library in the UK, with manuscripts dating from the 6th century to the modern day. Nowadays, the Library serves the public and the worldwide scholarly community who come to Durham Cathedral to study this unique collection of manuscripts and early printed volumes and modern theology books.
Durham University Library: Special Collections[edit | edit source]
Durham University Library: Special Collections
Palace Green Library
Durham, County Durham DH1 3RN UK
Telephone: 0191 334 2972
Website: Special Collections
Online Resources: Databases
- Founded in 1833 and occupying listed buildings within the Durham World Heritage site, Durham University's Palace Green Library houses archives, early printed books and other special collections.
Gateshead Central Library[edit | edit source]
- The Central Library offers a wide selection of books, talking books, newspapers and magazines, and a specialist Local and Family History service.
Newcastle City Library[edit | edit source]
Newcastle City Library
Charles Avison Building
33 New Bridge St. West
Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear NE1 8AX UK
Telehone: 0191 2774100
Website: Local Studies and Family History
- Established in 1884 this is the largest collection of local and family history material in the North East, we also collect current local material. Everyone is welcome to visit us and look at any of the collection but, as many items are rare or irreplaceable most of the collection is not on public display. To see anything just make your selection from our catalogues or ask a member of staff.
- British Library List of items in the main catalogue
Museums[edit | edit source]
Durham Museum and Heritage Centre[edit | edit source]
- Relive the story of Durham from Medieval times to the 20th century in this excellent local history museum. Enjoy models of the medieval city and 19th century market place and explore the reconstruction of a Victorian prison cell.
Weardale Museum and High House Chapel[edit | edit source]
Weardale Museum and High House Chapel
Ireshopeburn, Bishop Auckland, County Durham DL13 1HD UK
Telephone: 1388 517433
Website: Weardale Museum
- Outstanding Volunteer Run Museum
For a long list of County Durham museums, go to List of museums in County Durham in Wikipedia.