Dummerston, Windham County, Vermont Genealogy
Dummerston was first chartered on December 26, 1753 by Benning Wentworth. In its charter the town was named Fullum. Fighting with the French and Indians made it impossible for the grantees to establish a settlement within five years, as was stipulated in the original grant, so Wentworth renewed the grant three times: in 1760, 1781 and 1764.
The name Dummerston was adopted very early, and used almost exclusively for the town. However, it had apparently never been changed officially, so the 1937 Vermont legislature made legal confirmation of the fact that the town's name was, and had been, Dummerston for over 150 years. 
The history of the town of Dummerston : the first town settled by Anglo Saxon descendants in the state by David L. Mansfield - digital version of book is available free on charge online.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Dummerston is Marlboro.
Marlboro Probate Court
80 Flat St. Suite 104
Brattleboro, VT 05301
Phone: (802) 257-2898
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Dummerston. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Windham County, website at this link.
- Bennett Cemetery - inscriptions at Find a Grave site.
- Dummerston Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Dummerston Hill Cemetery (aka Ellor Cemetery) - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Holton Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Taft Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Dummerston West Dummerston Baptist Church Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Wilder Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Dummerston Cemetery inscriptions, 1782-1869 - available on microfilm at the Family History Center.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Dummerston Town Clerk's Office. These include Deeds, 1781-1886; index, 1777-1901, Town records, 1771-1972, and Births, marriages, deaths, 1761-1911; index, 1761-1886.
Dummerston Town Clerk
1523 Middle Rd.
East Dummerston, VT 05346
Phone: (802) 257-1496
Libraries and Historical Societies
156 Lyons St.
Dummerston, VT 05301
Phone: (802) 258-9878
- About Dummerston VT - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/dummerston.html#about
- History of the Town of Dummerston, VT, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WindhamDummerston.html