Dubuque Iowa Family History Center
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 685 Fremont Ave Dubuque, IA 52003
- The entrance on west side of building is open during hours of operation.
Family History Center Director:
- Fred Minnis - 563-590-6437 or Email at DBQFamHx@aol.com
- Tue: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Wed: 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Sat: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Closed The Wednesday before and the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
- Closed December 20th through January 2nd for Christmas.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
(All Events are Free of Charge)
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
- Dubuque Family History Center Staff Meetings & Training on 4th Thursdays from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center can receive films and microfiche ordered online through the FamilySearch Catalog. see www.familysearch.org/films for ordering information.
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- a collection of films on a variety of subjects, to include vital records, county records, court records, etc.
- Book Collection: -
- The Dubuque Family History Center has the entire Dubuque County-Key City Genealogical Society Collection of Family Histories and Local Records digitized and available to browse on the computer network in the Dubuque Family History Center.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- There are five networked computers connected to the internet for doing personal research, two microfilm viewers, one microfiche viewer, and one Canon digital imaging device for creating printed copies or image files to be placed on your CD or flash drive.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
- Dubuque Family History Center Staff are available for group presentations and for individual consultation.
- Requests can be made at the Family History Center or via email at DBQFamHx@aol.com.
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
- Staff members have some experience with research in Norway, Germany, Belgium, Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
- Additionally, we have staff members who are very proficient in using Ancestry.com and Roots Magic.
- Staff members are also proficient with the various tools available in FamilySearch.
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
- The entire Dubuque County-Key City Genealogical Society Collecion has been donated to the Dubuque Family History Center and has been digitized for browsing on the computer network at the Family History Center.
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
- The Center for Dubuque History, Loras College http://www.loras.edu/About-Loras/History/Center-for-Dubuque-History.aspx
- The Dubuque County-Key City Genealogical Society http://sites.rootsweb.com/~iadckcgs/
- Genealogy & Local History @ Carnegie-Stout Public Library https://www.dubuque.lib.ia.us/index.aspx?nid=84
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
- Please contact the Dubuque Family History Center Staff if you would like to participate in indexing or would like to teach a class at one of our workshops or conferences. You may speak to a staff member or you may email us at DBQFamHx@aol.com.