Douglas Georgia Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Douglas GA Family History Center was included in the Stake addition to the LDS Douglas Church Building. At that time, most of the materials used to open the library were donated by a local church member, Sister Edith Wall.
She was an avid genealogist in the area. Her contributions went far beyond books and obituaries. "I watched Sister Wall instruct others on how to do research when I, myself, was a small child." said center a past director, Renee Elliott.
Several members have since contributed their own personal histories and surname books to the center. Each addition is appreciated. Our newest books are the new series of Folks Huxford's, Pioneers of Wiregrass. These two new volumes include family histories from northern Florida.
Thank you for your interest!
Coline Corbitt, Center Director
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 200 N Chester Ave Douglas GA 31533 United States
- The entrance is on the north side of the building.
- A ramp and stairs is located at this entrance.
- Wednesdays: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- To make an appointment for other days, please call or text Coline Corbitt at 912-422-8044 or Renee Elliott at 912-381-7407.
Closed the week of major holidays.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- We have a bookshelf full of family name books that have been donated to our library. These include local surnames.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
We currently have computers and a printer for use. If you are coming from a long distance, please contact me ahead to be sure and reserve a computer for a certain time. Thank you.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
City of Douglas web address: http://www.cityofdouglas.com
Satilla Regional Library, Genealogy Department web address: http://www.srlsys.org/Genealogy.html
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.