Dorchester St Peter, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Dorchester St Peter, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Dorchester St Peter, Dorset|
|Poor Law Union||Dorchester|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1739|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
Dorcester (St Peter): The town of Dorchester is divided into three parishes, viz., All Saints, commonly called All Hallows, St. Peter's, and the Holy Trinity,.
Dorchester.-- capital of county, municipal borough, and market town, Dorset, on river Frome, 8 miles N. of Weymouth and 138 miles SW. of London by rail, 635 ac., pop. 7567; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 3 newspapers.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1848. Date accessed: 06 July 2103.
- John Bartholomew., Gazetteer of the British Isles, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1887. Date accessed: 06 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 5 July 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 June 2012.