Dominican Republic Genealogy
|Dominican Republic Wiki Topics|
|Dominican Republic Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The Dominican Republic is an island country in the Caribbean whose nearest neighbors are Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. It was formerly a colony of France, Spain, and Haiti. The official language is Spanish.
Getting Started with Dominican Republic Research
Links to articles on getting started with Dominican Republic research.
Dominican Republic Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Dominican Republic research.
Dominican Republic Clickable Map
Click on the province in the map or in the list below it.
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in the Dominican Republic. Click on a place below to go to the corresponding Wiki article listing more information.
31 provinces (provincias singular - provincia), and 1 district (distrito)
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Reading Spanish Handwritten Records:
- Lesson 1: The Spanish Alphabet
- Lesson 2: Words and Dates
- Lesson 3: Reading Spanish Records
- Hispanic Online Resources
- Wikipedia contributors, "Dominican Republic," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic, accessed 17 May 2016.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Provinces of the Dominican Republic," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_the_Dominican_Republic, accessed 3 May 2016.