Dixie County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Dixie County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dixie County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||April 25, 1921|
|County Seat||Cross City|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 5.15 Societies and Libraries
- 5.16 Websites
- 5.17 References
Dixie County, Florida Record Dates
Dixie County Courthouse
PO Box 1206;
Cross City, FL 32628
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1973,
divorce, probate, court and land records
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
The following are locations in the county:
The following web sites may have additional information on Dixie County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Dixie County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Dixie County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 mapofus Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 USGenWeb Archives Project 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State
- 1882 USGenWeb Archives Project 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State
- University of South Florida Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps
- Dixie County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb Pension Project Florida state pension records from various wars
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Dixie County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration, Surnames A-J (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Dixie County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration, Surnames K-Z (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1920 - Florida, World War I Navy Card Roster, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- Dixie County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Adams - Junious (USGenWeb Archives)
- Dixie County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Keen - Young (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Dixie County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dixie County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers Florida State Library
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Dixie County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Dixie County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 Florida Probate Records 1784-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1810 – 1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- Florida State Archives
- Dixie County, Florida Obituary and Death Notices Collection GenealogyBuff.com From various funeral homes in the Cross City, Horseshoe Beach, Old Town, Suwannee and surrounding area.
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Dixie County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Dixie County FLGenWeb
- State of Florida
- Dixie County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dixie County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Dixie County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Dixie County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Dixie County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dixie County, Colorado. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Dixie County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/dixie/ accessed 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Dixie County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Dixie County, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie County, Florida, accessed 1 October, 2018.