Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Dickenson County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Dickenson County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Dickenson County Virginia History
- 3 Dickenson County Virginia Places/Localities
- 4 Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land and Property
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Private Papers
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Research Guides
- 4.18 Taxation
- 4.19 Vital Records
- 5 Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy References
Dickenson County is located in the Southwest portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia and shares a border with Kentucky. The County was named for Delegate William J. Dickenson who sponsored the bill in the House of Delegates to establish this 100th county.
Dickenson County Virginia Courthouse
Dickenson County Courthouse
Clintwood, VA 24228-0190
County Health Department has birth, death, and burial records,
Clerk Circuit court has marriage, divorce, court and land records
from 1880 and military discharge records
Dickenson County Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website. They rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Dickenson County Virginia Places/Localities
Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Resources
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1800-1986 - Virginia, Jewish Cemetery Records Index, ca. 1800-1986 at FamilySearch — index
For tips on accessing Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans
- "Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890." Prince William County Virginia, by Ronald Ray Turner. FHL Collection.
- Vanover, Gregory Lynn, Joan Short Vanover, and Barbara Kendrick Vanover. Dickenson County, Virginia, 1900 Federal Census. Pound, Virginia: G.L. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Sand Lick Primitive Baptist Church, the First Hundred Years, 1837-1937: A History of the Oldest Religious Organization in Dickenson County, Virginia. 1937; reprint, [Clintwood, Virginia?]: Mullins Printing, 1985. Available at FHL.
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Dickenson County families. For a list, see Dickenson County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies.
Land and Property
- Giles, Albert William. The Geology and Coal Resources of Dickenson County, Virginia. University of Virginia, 1921. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Schwab, W.G. The Forests of Dickenson County, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va., 1917. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Meet Virginia's Baby: A Brief Pictorial History of Dickenson County, Virginia, from Its Formation in 1880 to 1955, with Stress on Pioneer Background. Clintwood, Va.: E.J. Sutherland, 1955. 1975 reprint available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper and Hetty Swindall Sutherland. Pioneer Recollections of Southwest Virginia. Clintwood, Va.: H.S. Sutherland, G.L. Vanover, and J.S. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
Regiments. Service men in Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 5th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry) (Confederate). Companies C and D.
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- Gobble, Lillian and Rhonda Robertson. Between Brothers: Civil War Soldiers of Wise and Dickenson County [Virginia]. [Big Stone Gap, Virginia: L. Gobble and R. Robertson, 200-?]. FHL Collection.
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
Dickenson County, Virginia, Family Bible Records, 1934-1935. Clintwood, Virginia: Mullins Printing, 1999. Available at FHL.
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Dickenson County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1964):124-126. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Indexes to Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records*Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. E. J. Sutherland Collection, Dickenson County, Virginia, 1650-1965. MSS., available at FHL. [Includes Dickenson County Vital Statistics, 1830-1938.]
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1936-1988 - Virginia, Marriage Certificates, 1936-1988 at FamilySearch — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Dickenson Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Dickenson County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Cyndi's List
Dickenson County Virginia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dickenson County, Virginia. Page 713 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com,, accessed 11 June 2012.