|Devon Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- This site was created in 2009 by the Chardstock Historical Record Group (CHRG) and has since been expanded to cover the Parishes of Chardstock, All Saints, and Wambrook, as well as the smaller settlements of Alston, Bewley Down, Birchill, Burridge, Churchill, Cotley, Holy City, Hook, and Tytherleigh. Our primary intention is to display and transcribe research material not readily available from other sources and to use our local knowledge of place and family names to ensure a high degree of accuracy.
- Welcome to Cotswold Archaeology. We offer the full range of heritage and archaeological services from our Andover, Cirencester, Exeter, and Milton Keynes offices.
- The Devon and Cornwall Record Society was founded in 1904 to transcribe and publish local records, and to promote local historical studies and genealogical research.
Wesley Historical Society - Cornish Methodist Historical Association
Truro, Cornwall TR1 3RW UK
Telephone: 01872 274759
Website: Wesley Historical Society - Cornish Methodist Historical Association
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: Cornwall and adjacent areas.
Devon Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Archaeology Club of Eggesford is based in Devon where they are committed to investigating and protecting Devon’s Archaeological heritage.
- The Appledore Historical Society was formed in the Autumn of 1995 by a group of Born-and-Bred Appledorians concerned that their village had changed so much in the previous twenty years that memories of their childhood and their parents' and grandparents' would soon be forgotten. So it was decided that a group would meet each month to record memories and document the Appledore of Yesteryear.
Axminster Historical Society
The Bradshaw Room
Axminster Heritage Centre
Thomas Whitty House
Axminster, Devon EX13 5AH UK
Telephone: 01297 32631
Website: Axminster Historical Society
Babbacombe and St Marychurch Local History Society
St Anne’s Hall
Torquay, Devon TQ1 3ST UK
Website: Babbacombe and St Marychurch Local History Society
- Our Local History Society was started in September 2004 with the aim of furthering interest in the local history of St Marychurch and Babbacombe and to encourage participation in research to publish articles and pamphlets so that the history of the area is recorded. In conjunction with the Friends of St Anne’s Hall we are endeavoring to produce an archive of the area consisting of photos, memorabilia and recording memories from local inhabitants.
- Our aims are to research, collate, and record historical information on the twin parishes of Blackawton and Strete, and to publicise activities and outcomes.
- Bow History is a charitable organisation whose purpose is to provide information to the people living in and around Bow about the archaeology, history, and present circumstances of the area. Included also in the Society’s remit is the preservation of local archaeological sites, buildings, and historical objects for the benefit of future generations. The Society also aims to assist members and non-members to trace family forebears or help persons engaged on any local historical research.
- The Society's principal purpose is to foster an appreciation of the richness of Bradninch's own local history and traditions, as well as that of nearby villages.
Brixham Museum and Heritage Society
Brixham Christian Community Centre
18A Fore St
Brixham, Devon TQ5 8DS UK
Telephone: 01803 856267
Website: Brixham Museum and Heritage Society
Broadwoodwidger Local History Society
Broadwoodwidger Community Hub, by St Nicholas Church
Broadwoodwidger, nr Lifton, Devon PL16 0JP UK
Telephone: 01566 784772
Website: Broadwoodwidger Local History Society
- The Society aims to encourage and develop interest in and awareness of all aspects of the history of the Parish of Broadwoodwidger and to collect and disseminate information on such history.
Buckland Brewer History Group
Church of St. Mary and St. Benedict
Bideford, Devon EX39 5XB UK
Website: Buckland Brewer History Group
- The aim of the Group is to inspire the community of Buckland Brewer and those with a love of Buckland Brewer, to take pride in and ownership of their history and heritage in all forms.
- Chagford Local History Society aims to research, study, and arrange the storage of information and material pertaining to Chagford and the surrounding district.
Chudleigh History Group
Chudleigh Town Hall
Newton Abbot, Devon TQ13 0HL UK
Telephone: 01626 852714
Website: Chudleigh History Group
- The Chudleigh History Group's purpose may be summed up as "Preserving Our Parish History". We take a very active interest in any matters relating to the history, preservation, or investigation of the fabric of the community, and we constantly monitor any proposed changes or rearrangements affecting the town.
Chulmleigh & District Local History Society
Chulmleigh, Devon EX18 7JW UK
Telephone: 01769 580137
Website: Chulmleigh & District Local History Society
- Our aim is to encourage enthusiasm in local history through an organised and exciting programme of events and outings, and to obtain, preserve, and develop a record of the history of this area.
- Founded in 1986, the Colyton Parish History Society's aim is to encourage and promote the study of local and family history.
Crediton Area History And Museum Society
The Old Town Hall
Crediton, Devon EX17 3LF UK
Telephone: 01363 773919
Website: Crediton Area History And Museum Society
- Crediton Area History And Museum Society was founded in September 1984 by a group of enthusiastic local historians who aimed to promote interest in local history and to provide Crediton with a museum.
Dartmouth History Research Group
4 Carey Rd
Dartmouth, Devon TQ6 9LT UK
Telephone: 01803 834135/01803 832810
Website: Dartmouth History Research Group
- The Dartmouth History Research Group is a non-profit making voluntary organization dedicated to the research and recording of the history of Dartmouth and surrounding villages, and to making this research available to the general public.
- We are a well-established group of Dawlish residents who share an interest in all aspects of local history. This site is one of the best places for information on the history of Dawlish – please explore it.
- The archaeology of Devon is without equal in England: it includes the rich historic landscapes of Dartmoor and Exmoor and extends in time from the Palaeolithic axes of the East Devon river valleys to industrial remains from the extraction of tin and other minerals.
Devon Family History Society
The Mint Methodist Church
Exeter, Devon EX4 3AT UK
Telephone: 01392 279430
Bideford, Devon EX39 4BL UK
Telephone: 01237 451305
Mutley Baptist Church
Plymouth, Devon PL4 6LB UK
Telephone: 01752 294891
Kingskerswell Community Centre
1 School Rd
Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 5DJ UK
Telephone: 01626 367794/01803 328954
- The Society publishes a quarterly journal, "The Devon Family Historian", and provides several index search services and a library for the use of members.
Devon History Society
Mint Methodist Centre
Exeter, Devon EX4 3AT UK
Website: Devon History Society
- The Society promotes the study of all aspects of Devon’s history through lectures, meetings, conferences and visits; publications such as a newsletter and a journal and the website; workshops to support research skills; affiliation for local history societies to share research and take part in DHS activities; and opportunities to take part in DHS research projects.
Diptford and North Huish with Avonwick History Society
Telephone: 01364 72713
Website: Diptford and North Huish with Avonwick History Society
- Like many areas where people have lived for long periods, Diptford has an interesting history beginning with slate extraction in Roman times. The History Society runs a series of presentations on various topics local to our area.
- The Society exists to promote an interest in the history of Exeter.
Exmouth History & Archaeology Society
Glenorchy Church Hall
Exmouth, Devon EX8 1PL UK
Telephone: 01395 260442
Website: Exmouth History & Archaeology Society
- The aim of the group is to document the village’s past.
Galmpton & Churston Local History Group
Galmpton Village Institute
Brixham, Devon TQ5 0LT UK
Telephone: 01803 844102
Website: Galmpton & Churston Local History Group
George Nympton & Queen’s Nympton History Society
George Nympton Village Hall
George Nympton Cross
South Molton, Devon EX36 4JE UK
Telephone: Tel No: 01769 572609
Website: George Nympton & Queen’s Nympton History Society
- A small group formed five years ago to find out more about Halberton parish which includes Ash Thomas and Brithem Bottom. We have a History Room in the Village Hall where we are building up a collection of documents, maps and photographs.
Harberton and Harbertonford History Society
The Old School Room
Stoke Gabriel, Devon TQ9 6SD UK
St Peters Church
Totnes, Devon TQ9 7HW UK
Church House Inn
Totnes, Devon TQ9 7SF UK
Telephone: 01803 864654/01803 731097
Website: Harberton and Harbertonford History Society
- The Harberton and Harbertonford History Society encourages the study of the local history of Harberton Parish and the surrounding County.
Hatherleigh History Society
Hatherleigh, Devon UK
Telephone: 01837 810478
Website: Hatherleigh History Society
- Hatherleigh History Society was founded in 1981 when the Town was celebrating one thousand years of recorded history. Its purpose is to research the Town’s history and build up a permanent archive of photographs and documents.
Heavitree Local History Society
St Michael & All Angels Church
Exeter, Devon EX2 5EP UK
Website: Heavitree Local History Society
- We are a friendly, informal group that seeks to promote an interest in local history, particularly that of the Heavitree area.
High Bickington Historical Society
High Bickington Community Centre
Little Bickington Lane
High Bickington, Devon EX37 9PN UK
Telephone: 01769 560309
Website: High Bickington Historical Society
Honiton History Society
Honiton Methodist Hall
Honiton, Devon EX14 1EU UK
Telephone: 01404 41832
Website: Honiton History Society
- Huntsham Society was founded in 2001 with eighteen members as a history/conservation society.
Ipplepen Local History Group
Ipplepen Village Hall
Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 5SB UK
Website: Ipplepen Local History Group
- The aims of the group are to collect, record & preserve the histories of Ipplepen and to share it with anyone interested.
Kennerleigh & District Heritage Group
Kennerleigh Village Hall
Crediton, Devon EX17 4RS UK
Website: Kennerleigh & District Heritage Group
- The Kennerleigh & District Heritage Group covers Kennerleigh, Woolfardisworthy East, Washford Pyne, and Black Dog.
- Aims and Objectives of the Society: To seek out, document and publish information about the history of Kingsbridge, and to encourage the pursuit of that historical interest.
Kingston Local History Society
Kingston Reading Room
Kingsbridge, Devon TQ7 4QE UK
Telephone: 01548 810358/01548 810819
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Kingston Local History Society
- The Aims of the Society are to research the History of the Village of Kingston and its environs, to encourage Society members and the local community to carry out their own research into their historic past, to preserve, store and have public access to Archive material in a safe, secure place in the Village, and to welcome contributions from anyone who has documents, photographs, memories or information to add to the Archive collection.
- The Lustleigh Society was formed in 1978 as a society for lectures on local history.
- Lympstone history society holds talks, visits and exhibitions throughout the year, which are open to everyone. We also nurture a growing historical archive collection of Lympstone, including documents, paintings and photographs.
- Marldon Local History Group is dedicated to the promotion and study of the history of the Parish through the collection and preservation of archival material.
- Membury Local History Society is a non-profit organisation specialising in the local history of the parish of Membury and the surrounding area.
Merton and Petrockstowe Heritage Group
Okehampton, Devon EX20 3HJ UK
Telephone: 01837 810728
Website: Merton and Petrockstowe Heritage Group
- Merton & Petrockstowe Heritage Group hold monthly meetings with speakers. Interested in the social history of the villages and family history.
Moretonhampstead History Society
The Union Inn
10 Ford Street
Newton Abbot, Devon TQ13 8LN UK
Telephone: 01647 441 083
Website: Moretonhampstead History Society
- The Moretonhampstead Local History Society was founded in 1965 as a small research group and has, since then, been involved with all aspects of Moreton's history.
Newton Poppleford Local History Group
Newton Poppleford Village Hall
7 Station Rd
Sidmouth, Devon EX10 0BP UK
Telephone: 01395 568848
Website: Newton Poppleford Local History Group
- Our Local History Group was formed in 2014, with the objectives of collecting, saving, documenting and recording information about the local area.
- Newton St Cyres History Group is a small informal group that meets monthly (apart from a summer break) for evening lectures on local and regional topics.
- The Society's Aims are to promote awareness of, and interest in, archaeology and the historic environment with particular reference to northern Devon; to encourage field survey, recording, and research; to promote the preservation and interpretation of ancient monuments and antiquities in the region; and, where appropriate and necessary, to excavate to professional standards and to publish the results of research.
Okehampton and District Local History Society
Ockment Community Centre
Okehampton, Devon EX20 1AR UK
Telephone: 01837 840158/01837 840087
Website: Okehampton and District Local History Society
Old Plymouth Society
Mutley Baptist Church
Plymouth, Devon PL4 6LB UK
Telephone: 01752 227992
Website: Old Plymouth Society
- This local history society's aims are "to promote interest and research into, and the preservation of, the heritage of the City of Plymouth".
- The Society promotes the wider knowledge and understanding of our local history and culture. We also undertake archaeological field work in the parish and arrange outings to places further afield.
- The Paignton Heritage Society (formerly Paignton Preservation and Local History Society) has as its aims to preserve and open to the public all the heritage buildings in Paignton, to encourage tourist and trade initiatives that will benefit Paignton, to support local concern over critical planning applications, and to monitor the policies and plans of government, council, and developers.
- A group of village residents re-formed the Petrockstowe Local History Group in October 2003 with a view to recording the history of the village and its residents, both past and present.
Plymouth & District Archaeological Society
Devonport Lecture Theatre
Portland Square Building
Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA UK
Website: Plymouth & District Archaeological Society
- Regional archaeology group of amateur and professional archaeologists wishing to share their enthusiasm for local archaeology and provide knowledge and support for sites in our area.
Ringmore Historical Society
Ringmore, Devon TQ7 4HW UK
Telephone: 01548 810520
Website: Ringmore Historical Society
- The Ringmore Historical Society was founded in 1984 by a group of residents keen to research and record the history of the village. Over the years the society has gathered a large archive of documents and photographs.
- Our objectives are to gather information about Salcombe and the hamlets of Shadycombe and Batson and to make available all we discover to people world-wide, enabling them to research their roots on one dedicated site.
Sampford Peverell Society
Sampford Peverell Village Hall
Tiverton, Devon EX16 7FB UK
Website: Sampford Peverell Society
- The Society was formed in 2004 with a broad remit about the Parish: from archaeology to buildings, industries, social history, and natural history.
Shebbear & Buckland Filleigh Historical Society
Shebbear Village Hall
Beaworthy, Devon EX21 5RS UK
Buckland Filleigh Village Hall
Beaworthy, Devon EX21 5HZ UK
Telephone: 01409 281489
Website: Shebbear & Buckland Filleigh Historical Society
- The Society carries out research on the local history of Shillingford St. George, Shillingford Abbot, Dunchideock, and nearby areas.
- The Sidmouth Local History Group is a part of the Sid Vale Association which aims to promote and support research into the history of the Sid Valley and surroundings.
South Molton & District Archive and Local History Society
South Molton & District Museum
South Molton, Devon EX36 3AB UK
Website: South Molton & District Archive and Local History Society
- The Society was started during the 1970s with the aim of promoting the history of South Molton, its people, and its environs. The changing scenes of the town and its inhabitants have been recorded; photographs or postcards lent by local people have been scanned and added to a large digital database. Transcripts of Parish Registers, Census returns, copies of property deeds, historic documents have been collected. The collections, which are now housed in part of the Museum premises, include recordings made by local people recalling their memories.
South Tawton and District Local History Group
South Zeal Victory Hall
Okehampton, Devon EX20 2JR UK
Telephone: 01837 840585
Website: South Tawton and District Local History Group
Stokenham Community History Group
Stokenham Parish Hall
Kingsbridge, Devon TQ7 2SJ UK
Telephone: 01548 580129
Website: Stokenham Community History Group
- Our aim is to research and discuss matters of local history: industries, fishing and farming, buildings and boundaries.
Tavistock History Society
5A Plymouth Rd
Tavistock, Devon PL19 8AU UK
Telephone: 01822 616431
Website: Tavistock History Society
- Our society was founded over 30 years ago and has been regarded, along with the museum, as the focal point in Tavistock for understanding the town's long and varied history.
Teign Valley History Group
Telephone: 01647 253145
Website: Teign Valley History Group
- Formed in November 2010 and based in Christow, the Group’s objectives are to encourage research into the events throughout the valley, from Trusham to Dunsford, to sponsor talks on history within the county, especially the valley and to visit various sites of historical interest.
Teignbridge Archaeological Society
Kingsteignton Community Hall
Kingsteignton, Devon TQ12 3LP UK
Telephone: 01626 351953/07745 364245 (Mobile)
Website: Teignbridge Archaeological Society
- The Society's Aims and Objectives are to consult, liaise, research, and develop greater knowledge of archaeology within Teignbridge, and to improve education, facilities, and services for archaeological work within the district and the region.
- Thorventon and District History Society arranges lectures and presentations by visiting speakers and members on subjects of local or regional historical interest.
- The group was established to promote interest in the history of Topsham and its environs, and to encourage members who wish to carry out their own research into aspects of local history.
- Ugborough Local History Group was founded over fifteen years ago for the collection of an Ugborough archive as well as holding regular meetings.
- We have a growing list of digital publications, focused chiefly on Wembury’s long and fascinating history. Our Churchyard Survey documents are particularly relevant to family history.
Westward Ho! History Society
Website: Westward Ho! History Society
- Westward Ho! is noted for its unusual place name. The village name comes from the title of Charles Kingsley’s 1855 novel “Westward Ho!”, which was set in nearby Bideford.
- We are an enthusiastic group of volunteers caring about Whimple's past, archiving today's information for historians of the future and committed to researching, recording and making available to anyone, information relating to the history of the village of Whimple, its people, customs, traditions, skills, and trades.
Widecombe and District Local History Group
Widecombe in the Moor
Newton Abbot, Devon TQ13 7TA UK
Website: Widecombe and District Local History Group
Website #2: Widecombe Digital Archive
- Willand History Group was formed in 2001 with the objectives of (1) studying the history of our parish and its surrounding area, (2) collecting and preserving archive material, and (3) disseminating information through meetings, publications, and other activities.
- The Society has a Reference Library and Archive Room in Woodbury Village Hall in which a large collection of papers, maps, books, photographs, newspaper cuttings, etc., concerning the parish of Woodbury (and Devon in general) are kept.
Yelverton & District Local History Society
Meavy Parish Hall
Yelverton, Devon PL20 6PJ UK
Telephone: 01822 853260
Website: Yelverton & District Local History Society
Website #2: Yelverton & District Local History Society
- The Society was formed over thirty years ago, in 1982, by a group of people who believed there was a need to study the fascinating history of the villages nestling on the Yelverton side of Dartmoor, and to make an effort to record as much of that history as possible while the places existed free of development and the people remembered the past.