|Derbyshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Donisthorpe and District Local History Group
Donisthorpe Woodlands Centre (DM's)
Donisthorpe, Leicestershire DE12 7PY UK
Telephone: 01530 274172
Website: Donisthorpe and District Local History Group
- The group formed in 2001 to promote interest and awareness of the history of the Parish of Oakthorpe, Donisthorpe, and Acresford.
Hunter Archaeological Society
32 Leavygreave Road
Sheffield, Yorkshire S3 7RD UK
Telephone: 0114 288 2640
Website: Hunter Archaeological Society
- The Hunter Archaeological Society studies and reports on the archaeology, history and architecture of South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire.
Kimberley Chinemarelian Historical Society
Community Room Kimberley School
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG16 2NJ UK
Telephone: 01773 785130
Website: Kimberley Chinemarelian Historical Society
- This Society is in Nottinghamshire but is near the Derbyshire border and is listed on the Derbyshire County Council website.
- The Society is dedicated to the recording of the past and present of Marple – including Mellor, Compstall, Marple Bridge, Strines, Rose Hill, Hawk Green, and High Lane.
Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Labour History Society
North Sherwood Street
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG1 4EZ UK
Telephone: 01246 270628
Website: Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Labour History Society
- The Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Labour History Society is an organisation of members who have an interest in working class history, and the history of the labour movement in these two counties.
- The Ranulf Higden Society transcribes and translates medieval Latin documents associated with Lancashire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, and Derbyshire. Some people for their own purposes need to read and understand medieval records written in Latin or Anglo-Norman but do not have the benefit of the kind of support normally provided by postgraduate courses in universities. The Society was formed to provide a means by which they might receive continuing instruction in various relevant fields and encourage and support.
Wesley Historical Society - East Midlands
Website: Wesley Historical Society - East Midlands
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: Leicestershire, Loughborough, Derby, Nottingham.
Allestree Local Study Group
St Nicholas Church
Allestree, Derbyshire DE22 2PE UK
Telephone: 01332 842114/558256
Website: Allestree Local Study Group
- The Allestree Local Study Group is interested in the history and development of Allestree and surrounding area.
Aston on Trent Local History Group
Aston on Trent War Memorial Hall
1 Chellaston Lane
Aston on Trent
Derby, Derbyshire DE72 2AX UK
Telephone: 01332 793196
Website: Aston on Trent Local History Group
- The principal aim of the Group was (and continues to be) to provide, maintain, and develop a comprehensive history of Aston on Trent using a variety of formats, easily accessible to all and involving as many members of the community - young and old - as possible.
Baslow History Group
Baslow Village Hall
Baslow, Nr Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1SR UK
Website: Baslow History Group
- A group of local enthusiasts and amateur historians interested in researching and popularising all aspects of the local history and heritage of Baslow and Bubnell, two picturesque villages set in the heart of the Peak District, close to Chatsworth House, the Home of the Duke of Devonshire.
Brimington and Tapton Local History Group
Brimington Community Centre
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S43 1DB UK
Telephone: 01246 275527
Website: Brimington and Tapton Local History Group
- We are a small group of local people interested in the history of Brimington and Tapton. These two communities are part of the Borough of Chesterfield.
- The aims of the Society are to engage in activities that explore and explain all aspects of the history of the market town of Buxton, the Peak District, and its surrounding areas.
- Our group’s aim is to collect the history of Chaddesden, and its surrounding area, together for the benefit of future generations as well as for today’s budding historians.
- The aims of the Chellaston History Group are to collect and record the history of the district; to keep in the Group’s archives documents, photographs, newspaper articles, etc., which relate to the history of the district; to investigate and record the past history of the district; to publish material on various aspects of the district and its inhabitants; and to hold meetings and arrange visits in furtherance to the above aims.
Chesterfield & District Family History Society
Whittington Moor Methodist Church
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S41 8QP UK
Website: Chesterfield & District Family History Society
- CADFHS was founded in 1989 and is based in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. The Society covers the area of North East Derbyshire previously known as the Scarsdale Hundred. We aim to assist and encourage the study of Family History and promote research into genealogical material.
Chesterfield & District Local History Society
Rose Hill United Reformed Church
22 Soresby St
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S40 1JN UK
Website: Chesterfield & District Local History Society
- The principal aim of the Society is to encourage public interest in local history, particularly in the Chesterfield area.
Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group
Birchwood Methodist Chapel
Somercotes, Derbyshire DE55 4LZ UK
Telephone: 01773 604916
Website: Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group
- The group comprises enthusiasts mainly in the fields of family history and local history and is involved in recording monumental inscriptions in churches, churchyards and cemeteries throughout Derbyshire, with occasional visits over the county border.
- The Derbyshire Archaeological Society was founded in 1878 to encourage interest in the County’s history and archaeology.
Derbyshire Family History Society
Friends Meeting House
56 St Helen's St.
Derby, Derbyshire DE1 3HY UK
Glossop & High Peak
Bradbury Community House
10 Market Street
Glossop, Derbyshire SK13 8AR UK
South Normanton Post Mill Community Centre
Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 2EJ UK
Bridge Chapel House
St. Marys Bridge
Derby, Derbyshire DE1 3AT UK
Telephone: 01332 363876
Website: Derbyshire Family History Society
- For over 25 years the Society has linked together people researching their family history in Derbyshire.
- The DRS was established in 1977 to publish edited texts, monographs and pamphlets relating to the history of the county.
Eckington and District Preservation and History Society
Telephone: 01246 432839
Website: Eckington and District Preservation and History Society
- To improve, protect, and preserve for the benefit of the public, the country town/village of Eckington & District.
Furness Vale Local History Society
Furness Vale Social Club
High Peak, Derbyshire SK23 7PN UK
Telephone: 01663 744080
Website: Furness Vale Local History Society
- We research and record Furness Vale's past. An archive of documents, maps and photographs is maintained by Chairman George Tomlinson, a product of many years research.
Heanor & District Local History Society
Wilmot Street Centre
Heanor, Derbyshire DE75 7EF UK
Telephone: 01773 761944
Website: Heanor & District Local History Society
- The Society aims to "promote interest and research in all aspects of the history of Heanor and District" (including Langley Mill, Marlpool, Codnor, Loscoe, Shipley and Smalley).
Holymoorside History Society
Holymoorside Village Hall
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S42 7DX UK
Telephone: 01246 566252/01246 568561/01773 779778
Website: Holymoorside History Society
- The object of the Society is to discover, record, and preserve the history surrounding Holymoorside for the benefit of residents, visitors, and future generations, and to help in the preservation of sites of historical importance, forming part of the national heritage of the area.
- A group of local people with a shared interest in historical and environmental matters. We draw members from Hope, Aston, and the surrounding villages.
The Ilkeston and District Local History Society
United Reform Church
53 Wharncliffe Rd
Erewash, Derbyshire DE7 5GF UK
Website: The Ilkeston and District Local History Society
- The Society was established in 1966 to foster the study of local history and research into all aspects of the history of Ilkeston and the district and to disseminate this information for the benefit of the public.
Melbourne Historical Research Group
Melbourne Assembly Rooms
Derby, Derbyshire DE73 8GF UK
Telephone: 01332 863385
Website: Melbourne Historical Research Group
- Each year, one particular aspect of Melbourne's history is investigated and a travelling exhibition of the findings presented. Documents, photographs and artefacts are being used to gradually create a permanent resource in the Library at the Assembly Rooms, which may be used for educational work.
New Mills Local History Society
New Mills Town Hall
High Peak, Derbyshire SK22 4AT UK
Website: New Mills Local History Society
- The aims of the Society are to promote study and research into the history of the New Mills area, to convey the history of the New Mills area to a wider audience, and to secure the preservation and protection of items of interest relating to the history of the New Mills area.
North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society
St. Thomas’ Church Centre
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S40 3AW UK
Website: North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society
- We are a friendly Society discovering much about the rich industrial history and archaeology of the broader Chesterfield and north-east Derbyshire area.
- We are a small group researching and collecting information about the history of North Wingfield and surrounding villages.
Ockbrook & Borrowash Heritage Society
Borrowash Methodist Church
31 Nottingham Rd
Derby, Derbyshire DE72 3FL UK
Telephone: 01332 662135
Website: Ockbrook & Borrowash Heritage Society
- The group investigates and preserves the history of the parish of Ockbrook and Borrowash.
Old Dronfield Society
Dronfield Hall Barn
Dronfield, Derbyshire S18 1PX UK
Telephone: 01246 418122
Website: Old Dronfield Society
- The Society encourages research and recording of the history of Dronfield and its ancient parish which includes Apperknowle, Little Barlow, Coal Aston, Dronfield Woodhouse, Holmesfield, and Unstone.
- The Society was formed in February 2000 with its principal aim being to research the local history of the Parwich and its environs in all its aspects and through all periods of history from earliest times to the present day, including landscape, archaeology, architecture, agriculture, industry, history, social history, economics, and any other related issues of historical interest to the community.
- We are a local History Group with a friendly atmosphere looking to recruit new members. We are always looking for speakers on any historical subject. We are also looking for people to research the history of Swanwick and Pentrich which does not mention The Pentrich Rising.
Pinxton & South Normanton Local History Society
The Post Mill Centre
Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 2EJ UK
Website: Pinxton & South Normanton Local History Society
- In 2018 we are moving to a new phase in our development and will be concentrating on researching more of Repton’s history through a series of projects which will include recording the memories of older villagers, carrying out architectural, documentary and cartographical studies and undertaking and supporting archaeological research.
Sandiacre History Group
Methodist Church Hall
Sandiacre, Derbyshire NG10 5JG UK
Website: Sandiacre History Group
South Wingfield Local History Group
South Wingfield Cricket Club
Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 7NY UK
Website: South Wingfield Local History Group
- The Aims of the group are to gather information and carry out research on all aspects of the Parish of South Wingfield; to acquire records and information relevant to the study of South Wingfield and arrange for its appropriate storage and collation; to make available historical data to residents and other interested parties; to promote community interest in our local heritage by means of lectures, exhibitions, website and any other appropriate means; and to publish research findings.
- Spondon Historical Society was formed in 1982 and the Society has met monthly ever since. At these meetings, members have listened to a variety of talks of local and wider historical interest, discussed issues that affect Spondon, and made visits to local places of interest. Over the three decades during which the Society has been meeting, it has collected and collated many interesting documents and photographs relating to the history and development of Spondon.
Staveley History Society
Staveley and Barrow Hill Community Centre
47 High Street
Chesterfield, Derbyshire S43 3UU UK
Website: Staveley History Society
- We started in 2010 to investigate the archaeology of Ticknall's potteries and its landscape history.
Whitwell Local History Group
Whitwell Community Centre
Worksop, Derbyshire S80 4NN UK
Telephone: 01909 720327
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Whitwell Local History Group
- A community group to promote and protect local history to ensure that the history of village people is available to future generations.
- Winster has a very active History Group, which runs an evening lecture series, and undertakes original research.