Denver Colorado Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Denver Colorado Family History Center has served the central Denver metropolitan area and part of Aurora for 50 years. It was the first such Center in Colorado.
- Location Map
- 2710 S Monaco Parkway Denver, CO 80224 United States
- The Center is located in the building at the corner of Yale and Monaco.
- The entrance is in the northwest corner of the building. There is ample free parking available.
FHC Directors Ed and Jayne Swapp
- Tuesday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- *Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. *beginning in March 2018
- • Closed September 1-10 for Labor Day. Re-open September 11.
- • Closed October 6.
- • Closed November 17-27 for Thanksgiving. Open November 28.
The Center conducts training meetings for staff members and others with family history callings on the third Sunday of the month (or the closest thereafter if the Center is closed due to a holiday). During training times, the Center is closed to the general public.
The Center conducts regular genealogy courses available free to the public. If you would like to be notified of the class schedule, please see this Wiki page, or submit your request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- The Denver Colorado Family History Center has a collection of microfilms and microfiche on indefinite loan from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
FHC Portal: This Center has access to the Family History Center Portal page, which gives free access in the Center to premium family history websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press: The American Civil War: Research Database |Letters and Diaries |Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera|Social and Cultural History
- Alexander Street Press: Women and Social Movements in the United States
- Ancestry.com - Institution version
- Create your Who Do You Think You Are? Story, for free
- FamNet (New Zealand)
- Findmypast - Institution version
- MyHeritage - Library Edition (includes the former World Vital Records)
- Newspaper Archive
- Paper Trail
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- Puzzilla.org - Premium Services
- ArkivDigital (Sweden)
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints aged 13 and over can join five subscription websites for free: Ancestry.com, Find My Past, My Heritage, American Ancestors, and Geneanet. Follow this link and sign in with your FamilySearch/LDS Account for access to these excellent resources! Partner Access These websites are available to anyone while using a computer at the Family History Center.
- Legacy 8.0
- Family Tree Maker 2012
Hardware and Equipment
- There are 7 computers, 1 printer/copier, 3 microfilm readers, and 1 microfiche reader available in this Center for patron use on a first come, first served basis.
- In addition, this Center has a digital imaging system that allows patrons to print or capture selected microfilm/microfiche images on their personal stick drives or CDs.
- There is a scanner/copier that will scan photos and documents directly to your FamilySearch account.
- Wireless connections are available for personal laptops and tablets.
It is strongly recommended that patrons bring a USB "flash drive" to the Center to make saving any digital documents or digital prints easier.
- Games, computer and paper activities are available for children and youth accompanying their parents to the center. (e.g., writing, coloring pages)
- Activities for specific needs and ages can be provided when informed of their visit ahead of time so staff can adequately prepare for their unique family history experience.
Staff Research Specialties
We have staff members who can read several languages. Please call during open hours to find out which languages are available at the time.
- German (including old script and old type)
Resources in the Local Area
Denver Public Library, Western History & Genealogy. 5th floor, 10 W. Fourteenth Ave. Pkwy., Denver, CO 80204
Volunteer at the Center
We appreciate all those who donate hours each week to serve our community in assisting them in their family history and genealogy work. If you have an interest in assisting others in this great work and serving in our Family History Center, please contact us. An in-depth knowledge of Family History is not needed as we will provide the necessary training.