Denver City Home Guards, Colorado Infantry (Union)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The Denver City Home Guards, Colorado Infantry was organized at Denver August to October, 1861. The Guards mustered out April 1, 1862.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, Denver City Home Guard, (accessed 28 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, Denver City Home Guard, (accessed 13 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Colorado in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Colorado in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for Colorado, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. COLORADO 1st Cavalry 2nd Cavalry Mclain's Independent Battery, Light Artillery 2nd Infantry 3rd Infantry Denver City Home Guards, 6 months, 1861-1862. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, 1964), FHL film 1488456.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).