Denton Texas Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Denton Texas Family History Center opened on 16 September 1986 and is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is staffed by volunteers who are knowledgeable and passionate about Family History. We encourage all to come and use our facilities and benefit from our expertise. There is no charge to use the library, computers or programs. Microfilm ordering no longer available due to a change in policy but most of the images are now available online.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Links
- 6 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Address: 3000 Old North Road; Denton, Texas 76209-6250; United States
- Spanish (some shifts)
- Center 1-940-484-5036
- Stacie Briggs, Stake TFH Consultant- FH Center 940-453-4486
- Tuesday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
In 2020, our Center will be closed Thursday February 27th, Sunday, April 5 for General Conference and Sunday April 12 for Easter; Sunday May 10 for Mother's Day, Sunday June 21 for Father's Day, Sunday October 4 for General Conference, November 24-29 for Thanksgiving, and December 21-Jan 2 for Christmas.
Center may be closed for inclement weather or illness of staff but this is rare.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
RootsTech 2021 - RootsTech 2021 will be held in February 25–February 27, 2021 this will be a free online conference experience.
Denton Family History Discovery Day 2021 - Date to be announced
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Meetings have be suspended until further notice due to COVID 19
Training for FHC staff on the third Thursday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. In addition to staff, all Ward and Stake Temple and Family History Consultants in the Denton Stake as well as Ward Temple and Family History Leaders are invited. There will be no training meeting in December 2020.
Monthly Family History
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Catalog: A variety of microfilms and microfiches popular in our center are here on permanent loan. The contents of many microfilms in the Family History Library Catalogue are now available to be viewed online.[edit | edit source]
We also have a broad selection of over 200 volumes of genealogical reference books on hand for use in the Library. Numerous books have been donated to the Denton Texas FHC. Most of the books are helps on researching the United States or specific States with an emphasis in the Southeast. 2-30+ books are available on various countries in Europe, as well as Canada & Mexico. There are also 40+ books on Getting Started and/or How to do research, and a few books on a few surnames: Bingham, Kunz, Jenson, Barnes, Cane/Kean, True/Bevers, Halbrook, Johnsons, several others including genealogies of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
Equipment in the Denton Family History Center consists of 6 Dell Desktop Computers with internet connections for Patron Research, 1 Admin Computer and 1 Computer for printing Microfilm and Microfiche images. We also have 3 overhead Microfilm readers, 1 Microfiche reader and 1 Lexmark printer/copier/scanner which connects to FamilySearch Family Tree.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Several staff members are fluent in Spanish but not in all shifts. Staff is well versed in basic genealogical research, FamilySearch, FS Family Tree, as well as several other Family History programs and websites.
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
- Denton County Genealogical Society, c/o Denton Public Library, 502 Oakland St., Denton TX 76201
- Denton Public Library, Special Collections, 502 Oakland St., Denton TX 76201; (940) 349-8752
Links[edit | edit source]
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
- Volunteers are asked to serve a four hour shift per week if possible.
- Sharpen your skills by taking advantage of staff training (the third Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.) Open to all Temple and Family History Consultants and Elders Quorum Presidents as well.
- Struggling with your Temple and Family History Consultant Calling? Serving at the center will give you the experience of working with others.
- Experienced family historians needed to serve. We need your knowledge and skills.
- Beginning family historians needed also. We need your energy and enthusiasm.