Denmark Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Denmark Marriages, 1635-1916
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Denmark|
|Map of Denmark, 1793-1970|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This is an index to marriages in Denmark for the years 1635 to 1916. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
These records include the following information:
- The names of the bride and groom
- Date and place of marriage
The records may also include:
- Birth dates and ages
- The names of the parents
Coverage Table and Map
A map showing the number of records for each county is available at Denmark Marriages - Coverage.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s marriage record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment or military records
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county. However, ministers may have reported marriages performed in other counties
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Denmark Record Finder to find other records
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Denmark.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Denmark Marriages, 1635-1916." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.