Denchworth, Berkshire Genealogy
Guide to Denchworth, Berkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wantage|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - Salisbury; Post-1835 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Berkshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
DENCHWORTH (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wantage, county of Berks, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Wantage. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Denchworth, Berkshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BERK = Berkshire Parish Records (findmypast) - (£).|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|DENCHWORTH PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Berkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Denchworth in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 01 April 2013
- 'New Berkshire parish records published on findmypast.co.uk,', findmypast, accessed 28 January 2014.
- 'Berkshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 28 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Berkshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 January 2014.
- 'Berkshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 24 January 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 25 April 2014.