|Denbighshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- Aberconwy Historical Society was established 60 years ago to serve members with an interest in the local history of Conwy Town and Aberconwy District. The Society holds regular monthly lectures, and organizes outings and field trips of historical interest. The Borough of Aberconwy was formed from parts of the administrative counties of Caernarfonshire and Denbighshire.
Clwyd Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd)
St Margaret's Church Hall
Wrexham, Denbighshire LL11 2SH UK
Telephone (Resource Center): 01978 814924
Website: Clwyd Family History Society
- The Clwyd Family History Society was founded in 1980 to encourage the study of genealogy and family history in north-east Wales, and to provide a forum for people who are interested in these subjects to meet, and to help each other.
Flintshire Historical Society
Dyserth Community Hall
Dyserth, Denbighshire LL18 6AB UK
Telephone: 01745 332220
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Flintshire Historical Society
- The Society was founded in 1911 for the collection and publication of archaeological, historical information, and materials relating to the then County of Flint.
Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society (Cymdeithas Achyddol Maldwyn)
Tregynon, Newtown SY16 3PL UK
Telephone: 01686 627916
Website: Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
- The Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society was founded to provide a forum for people with family history interests in the historical county of Montgomeryshire and its borders. Its main aim is to help members trace their Montgomeryshire family histories. It also helps members with family connections in Shropshire, Cardiganshire, Denbighshire, Merionethshire, and Radnorshire.
North East Wales Heritage Forum
Hawkesbury Community Centre
Buckley, Flintshire CH7 3HA UK
Website: North East Wales Heritage Forum
- The North East Wales Heritage Forum has been established to celebrate, conserve, and promote the rich heritage of the region. The Forum aims to inspire broader interest in the diverse heritage of the area, to signpost the availability of information and contacts, to publicise heritage activities, and to foster collaborative working for regional heritage projects.
- The Society was formed in October 2004 by a small group of amateurs with a keen interest in investigating the fascinating material remains of human life and activities of St Asaph and its environs in North East Wales.
Denbighshire Societies[edit | edit source]
Abergele Field Club and Historical Society
St Paul's Welsh Methodist Church
2 Heol Hir (Long Road)
Abergele, Conwy LL22 7UE UK
Website: Abergele Field Club and Historical Society
Cefn Meiriadog Historical Society
Cefnmeiriadog Chapel Vestry
Telephone: 01745 730498
Website: Cefn Meiriadog Historical Society
- The society aims to give its members a variety of talks, some are specific to the area of Chirk others are of a more general nature and have included such topics as Gothic Art, Architecture, The Titanic, Researching the history of your house, and Cathedrals and Abbeys of England.
- The Society was formed in order to research & record the history of the village of Coedpoeth and surrounding areas. We have collected a large amount of photographs which are displayed at various events and also have some cine film and sound files in our archive.
Colwyn Bay Heritage Group
C/O Colwyn Bay Library
Woodland Road West
Colwyn Bay LL29 7DH UK
Website: Colwyn Bay Heritage Group
- Our aim is to make the heritage and history of the Colwyn Bay easily accessible and better known amongst those who live here or are interested in understanding more about the town.
Denbigh Local History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Dinbych)
Website: Denbigh Local History Society
- To advance the education of the public in the local history of the ancient borough of Denbigh and its immediate surrounding district.
Denbighshire Historical Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Sir Ddinbych)
Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 1EE UK
Telephone: 02089 406440
Email #2: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: Denbighshire Historical Society
- The Denbighshire Historical Society was founded in 1950 to study the history of the ancient county. This is an area larger than the modern Denbighshire created in 1996, and includes Wrexham, Holt, Abergele, Colwyn Bay, and Llanrwst, as well as Llangollen and the ancient boroughs of Denbigh and Ruthin, which are still in the modern county. The Society's objective is the advancement of the education of the public by the promotion of the study of the history of the county, including family history, literature, folklore, archaeology, and all the various subjects which come under the designation of "antiquities".
Edeyrnion Heritage and Cultural Society
Amgueddfa Corwen Museum
Corwen, Denbighshire LL21 0DP UK
Website: Edeyrnion Heritage and Cultural Society
- The objectives of the society are to operate, for the benefit of the public, a permanent museum, exhibition and information centre, thus providing inspirational learning and enjoyment for the local community and for visitors; to hold and/or own collections of artefacts and specimens, protecting them for, and making them accessible to the public, now and in the future; and to hold exhibitions on the heritage, culture, and biodiversity of Edeyrnion and the Dee Valley and to encourage participation by the public in cultural activities, thereby advancing education.
- Glyndwr University Historical Society aims to promote the history department of the university, to assist students in their studies, link with local historical organisations, and bring history, local and national, to the community.
- The Society's aim is to promote the study of the history of Holt and the surrounding area.
Llangollen Museum of Local History (Amgueddfa Llangollen Hanes Lleol)
Amgueddfa Llangollen Museum
Llangollen, Denbighshire LL20 8PW UK
Telephone: 01978 862862
Website: Hanes Llangollen History Society
Website: Llangollen Museum
- Hanes-Llangollen-History was a small local history society based in Llangollen. They met four times a year for talks and outside visits and undertook projects of an educational or restoration nature. In 2016, the society decided to merge with the Llangollen Museum.
Llanrwst & District Historical Society
Llanrwst, Conwy LL26 0LG UK
Telephone: 01492 640177
Website: Llanrwst & District Historical Society
- The society promotes interest in, and study of, the history of Llanrwst and neighbouring communities. The society has produced numerous books on aspects of local history, including studies of individual streets in Llanrwst.
Llansilin Local History Society
The Memorial Institute
Oswestry, Shropshire SY10 7QB UK
Telephone: 01978 266503
- Llansilin Local History Society was formed in 1984. Llansilin is quite a small village with a church, four chapels, one pub, a garage and garage shop, and is very widespread thinly populated. The local area is considered to be quite rich in history (Owain Glyndwr, for example) and surviving buildings (many hall houses, for example) and family links. The original objective of the society was to study these matters while they were still accessible.
Penmaenmawr Historical Society (Cymdeithas Hanes & Amgueddfa Penmaenmawr)
Old Post Office
Conway Old Road
Penmaenmawr LL34 6UU UK
Telephone: 01492 621462
Website: Penmaenmawr Historical Society and Museum
Website #2: Penmaenmawr Historical Society and Museum
- Penmaenmawr Historical Society was formed in 1973 to promote the study of local history in the Parish of Dwygyfylchi. It holds lectures and organises visits to places of interest, and has published booklets and staged exhibitions to inform the general public.
Rhuddlan Local History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Rhuddlan)
Ysgol Y Castell
Rhyl, Denbighshire LL18 5AG UK
Telephone: 01745 591479
Website: Rhuddlan Local History Society
- The society was set up in 2008 for members to enjoy finding out more about the history of Rhuddlan, for example, what was it like 100 years ago, how was their education, how did they earn their living, what was their housing like, if they became ill what was the medication that was available, and so much more.
- Our History Society is for anyone who is interested in the rich history and heritage of our wonderful town and its surrounding area. The Society was re-formed from the previous group of the same name in 2015. Our aim is to promote interest in, and knowledge of, all aspects of our past, from pre-history to recent times.
Rhyl History Club
Ednyfed Meeting Room
Rhyl Community Fire Station
15 Rhyl Coast Road
Rhyl, Denbighshire LL18 3PG UK
Telephone: 01745 591281/354593
Website: Rhyl History Club
- The club was founded in 1982 to promote interest in, and study of, the town's history.