Delaware Naturalization and Citizenship
|Delaware Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1795-1925 - United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- State of Delaware Naturalization Records Database
- U.S. Passport Applications for Delaware, 1795-1925 ($)
- Delaware, County Naturalization Records, 1796-1958 Browse only.
- Delaware Naturalization Records, 1796-1959 ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Delaware, 1795-1911 - U.S. Circuit Court ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Delaware, 1795-1928 - U.S. District Court ($)
- U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, (World Archives Project) for Delaware, 1795-1930 - U.S. District and Circuit Courts ($)
- United States Index to Naturalizations of World War I Soldiers, 1918 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization papers in Delaware were generally filed in the superior courts. The Delaware Public Archives has naturalization records for:
- Kent County 1798-1929
- New Castle County 1811-1906
- Sussex County 1795-1852
The Historical Society of Delaware has five volumes of New Castle County naturalization records for the years 1829 to 1856.
The Family History Library has these sources:
- Delaware. Superior Court. Naturalization Papers, Transcripts and Originals, A-Z. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1949. FHL film 006529. These are naturalization records from the three counties, 1834 to 1870. New Castle County naturalizations before 1811 were recorded in the deed books. New Castle declarations from 1826 to 1850 are at the Delaware Public Archives and the Historical Society of Delaware.
- United States. District Court (Delaware). Naturalization Records, 1795-1932. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990. (On 27 Family History Library FHL film 1704294 (first of 27 films. These District and Circuit Court records include declarations 1842-1936, petition indexes 1795-1927, and petitions 1817-1929.
- Filby, P. William. Philadelphia Naturalization Records. Detroit, Michigan: Gale Research, 1982. FHL fiche 6100592. Many Delaware residents filed naturalization applications in the local courts in Philadelphia.
National Archives--Mid-Atlantic Region
For additional naturalization records, especially after 1906, contact the National Archives—Mid-Atlantic Region. They have Delaware District Court naturalizations for 1843 to 1959.
Citizenship and Immigration Services
Duplicate court naturalization records may also be found at the Citizenship and Immigration Services or CIS. To access these records you may use their Genealogy Program.
- For additional naturalization records, especially after 1906, contact the National Archives—Mid-Atlantic Region. They have Delaware District Court naturalizations for 1843 to 1959.
- Delaware Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.