Delaware Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Delaware Marriages, 1713-1919 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Delaware, United States|
|Flag of Delaware|
|Location of Delaware|
|Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection is an electronic index of marriages for the years 1713 to 1919 taken from the following sources:
- Indexed church records
- Civil registrations
- The Internet indexing project sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information.
This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Delaware marriages, click here.
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1710-1896||Marriages, 1713-1919||Deaths and Burials, 1815-1955|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article Marriages Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records).
The records in this collection include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
The records may also contain the following:
- Parents' names
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The place where the marriage occurred
- The names of the persons at the time of marriage
- The approximate marriage date
Search the Index
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Delaware, marriage records, ca. 1650-1980. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s marriage record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the birth dates or ages along with the places of birth to find a couple's birth records
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records
- Use the parent’s birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment or military records
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county. However, ministers may have reported marriages performed in other counties
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Delaware Marriages, 1713-1919." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.