Delaware: Swedish American
|Delaware Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
ELCA Regional Archives
Region 8: General Synod for Central Pennsylvania, Delaware-Maryland and Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Elwood W. Christ
A.R. Wentz Library
Lutheran Theological Seminary
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717-334-6286, Ext. 2131
New Castle County
Old Swedes Cemetery in Wilmington http://www.eancestry.org/showmap.php?cemeteryID=74
The Swedish American churches listed below have microfilmed records in the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center at the Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois. These microfilms are not available via interlibrary loan but may be searched in person or a search may be requested for a fee. See http://www.augustana.edu/x13917.xml for years of availability, guidelines, and research request forms.
New Castle County
Grace Baptist Church
- See article New Sweden
- Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" Church in Wilmington, DE
606 Church Street, Wilmington DE 19801. Phone: 302 652-5629 Website: http://www.oldswedes.org/
- "New Sweden Settlers, 1638-1654" in Sweden Genealogy Links at http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/3d41indexe.htm (accessed 4 November 2008). Originally published in the Swedish American Genealogist vols. 16-19.
- "List of the Swedish Families Residing in New Sweden in 1693 for Genealogy Research" in Colonial Ancestors at http://colonialancestors.com/de/families.htm (accessed 4 November 2008). 188 families, 932 persons.
- "List of persons to the Colony of New Amstel, compiled from 'Return of Moneys paid for the Colonie on the Delaware River, November 18, 1659 - November 3, 1662'" in New Netherland and Beyond Delaware River Settlements 1637-1682 at http://sites.rootsweb.com/~nycoloni/amsteld1.html (accessed 30 Jan 2019). 41 names.
- Swedish Colonial Society - history, churches, and settlers.
- Peter Stebbins Craig, "1671 Census of Delaware," in Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, 40 (Spring/Summer 1998): 197-231, and continued in Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, 40 (Fall/Winter 1998): 314-60. Biographical sketches of over 175 mostly Swedish and Finnish residents on the west side of the Delaware River from what is now New Castle County, Delaware, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Also includes a few families in Zwaanendael (now Lewes, Sussex, Delaware), and east of the Delaware River in present day New Jersey.