Dade County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Dade County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dade County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 25, 1837|
|Address|| Dade County Courthouse|
PO Box 613
Trenton, GA 30752
Dade County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Dade County, Georgia Record Dates
Dade County Courthouse
PO Box 613
Trenton, GA 30752
County Clerk has divorce, court, and land records
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O. Box 417
255 W. Crabtree St., Suite 103
Trenton, GA 30752
Telephone: (706) 657-4778
Fax: (706) 657-8284
Probate Court of Dade County
PO Box 605
255 West Crabtree Street
Trenton, GA 30752
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1863 During the American Civil War the courthouse was destroyed on 19-21 November, destroying all probate records and marriages. Only two deed books and some minutes of the Superior Court survived.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Dade County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Dade County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia Military - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Dade County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Dade County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company B
- - 21st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- - 34th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - 39th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Hughes, Nathaniel Cheairs. 1989. The Civil War comes to Dade County. Rossville, Georgia: Delta Genealogical Society. 975.8342 M29h
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Dade County). 1965. Confederate roster, 1861; Confederate pension roll, 1908-1952; and Confederate Veterans Aid Association minutes, 1889-1898. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 422022
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Dade County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Georgia.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dade County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Dade County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1884-1886 - Wills and Estates 1884-1886 (digital images). See Names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1853-1877 - Index to Appraisements, Inventories, Sales 1853-1877 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1903-1948 - Index to Will Bk A 1903-1948 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1884-1904 - Index to Wills, Minutes, Estates, Bk B 1884-1904 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1866 - 1902 - Dade County Marriage Books B and C Index 1866-1902. Batch M712621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Dade County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry $
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Dade County Historical Society
P.O. Box 604
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Dade County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Dade County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dade County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dade County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 25. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.