Czech Republic Compiled Genealogies
|Czech Republic Topics|
|Czech Republic Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Research use: Provide the results of previous research such as pedigree lineage information and may lead to the original sources of documentation. Often provide information from record types, areas, and time periods where we have not yet been able to acquire the original records.
Genealogical Collections and Family Histories [Rodopisné soupisy]
Record type: Compiled genealogies, organized collections of lineage data, family histories, pedigrees, family and community genealogies, whether manuscript or published.
Time period: Varies.
Contents: Names of individuals; dates and places of birth, marriage, and death; names of parents and children. Many include histories and illustrations of ancestors and ancestral homes. Community genealogies list families of a specific place. May provide source citations or copies of documents. Many are indexed.
Location: Varies; public and private libraries, archives, and other repositories. There is a significant collection at the Podbrady Museum.
Helpful publications at the Family History Library are:
- Pařez, Jan. Česko-anglický příruční slovník genealogický = Handy Czech-English genealogical dictionary. Praha: Scriptorium, 1999. (FHL INTL Book 491.86321 P216c 1999).
This dictionary is a must for the Czech researchers when records and documents are written in Czech. It includes occupations, causes of death etc. Supplements include Czech alphabet, a dictionary of personal names and a dictionary of supreme land and court offices.
- Lutonský, Boleslav. Lexikon genealoga. (Lexikon of genealogist). Praha: B. Lutonský, c2003. (FHL INTL Book 943.71 D26L).
Genealogical vocabulary that includes not only old-fashioned expressions that the researcher may encounter in their work, but also terms used in archival material (such as old documents, land tablets, urbarium, estate records etc.), overview of guilds, and important crafts. It also includes a chapter on measurements, a chapter on currency and a list of frequently used abbreviations. Text in Czech.
- Lutonský, Boleslav/Černý, Jaroslav. Latinsko-německo-český slovník nemocí, úrazů a příčin smrti: a výrazů s nimi souvisejících (nejen) pro genealogy. (Latin-German-Czech dictionary of diseases, injuries and causes of death: and terms related to them (not only) for genealogists). Praha: Ringier ČR, 1995. (FHL INTL Book 929.103 L977L ).
Causes of death as recorded in the death registers in Latin, German and Czech with their Czech translations.
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Czech Republic Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Czech Republic Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Czech Republic,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1999.