Czech Republic Civil Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Czech Republic, Civil Registers 1874-1937
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Czech Republic|
|Record Type:||Civil Registers|
|Title in the Language:||Česká republika, Sčítání lidu 1874-1937|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include civil registration records of births, marriages and deaths from the Hlucín (Hultschin, Hulczyn) area in the Moravian-Silesian region of the Czech Republic from 1874-1937. The area formerly belonged to the Duchy of Troppau, but was divided in 1742 between Habsburg Austria and the Prussian province of Silesia. At the end of World War I it was made part of Czechoslovakia, later returned to Nazi Germany in 1938, and then restored to Czechoslovakia in 1945. The originals of these records are housed in the Opava district archive, Czech Republic. The records are in Czech, German, or Latin.
Reading These Records
These records are written in German, Czech and Latin. For help reading the records see the following:
- German Language and Languages
- German Word List
- Czech Republic Genealogical Word List
- Czech Republic Language and Languages
- Latin Genealogical Word List
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Czech Republic Civil Registers,1874-1937.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Registration Office
- Select Record type, years and volume to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Copy down all the information from the record. Save or print a copy of the image if possible
- Cite the record. See below for help citing records in this collection
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Czech Republic Record Finder to find other records
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
- Search the records of nearby locations
Consult the Czech Republic Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- “Czech Republic, Civil Registers 1874-1937.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Zemsky Archiv v Opave (Opava District Archives, Opava).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.