|Cumberland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
- Alston Moor Historical Society was founded in 1973 and, due to the geographical situation of Alston Moor, it is a member of both the Northumberland Association of Local History Societies and the Cumbria Federation of Local History Societies.
- Appleby Archaeology is focused on practical, field archaeology. Most of the Group's activities take place in the Appleby area but our interests range across the whole of Cumbria.
Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society (CWAAS)
Telephone: 01524 67523
Website: Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society
- The Society's charitable purpose is the advancement of education and culture in the fields of the arts, heritage and science. To promote, encourage, foster and coordinate the study of archaeology, history, genealogy, customs and traditions with special reference to the County of Cumbria which now includes the historic counties of Cumberland and Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands and the Sedbergh district of Yorkshire. Affiliated groups are the Carlisle Affiliated Group, the Kendal Historical & Archaeological Society, the Penrith Affiliated Group, and the South West Cumbria Historical & Archaeological Society.
- The Cumbria Family History Society was founded to help members carry out their genealogy researches and our area of interest is the modern county of Cumbria, which is the old counties of Cumberland and Westmorland and a part of Northern Lancashire and North Yorkshire.
- CIHS was formed in 1985 by members of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society with a particular interest in industrial history.
- The Cumbria Local History Federation (CLHF) has a membership of Cumbrian local history societies, related groups and individuals. It promotes an interchange of information about activities and events. Additionally, the Federation provides a forum for liaison, a means of cooperation and a capacity for county-wide activities.
- DVLHG was formed in the early 1990s and runs a programme of activities and talks for its members. Our five year long study of the whole valley has restarted extending the survey to cover areas not walked in earlier phases. Our findings led to our current major project with Oxford Archaeology North excavating three medieval longhouse sites near Seathwaite Tarn.
- The North West Catholic History Society promotes the study of the history of the Catholic Church in the region west of the Pennines, the old counties of Cheshire, Cumberland, Lancashire, and Westmorland.
- Orton & Tebay Local History Society was formed to research and collate information about our area. It meets on a monthly basis to listen and to learn from various speakers on local historic events and places.
South West Cumbria Historical & Archaeological Society
Egremont Market Hall Supper Room
6 Market St
Copeland, Cumbria CA22 UK
Telephone: 019467 24634
Website: South West Cumbria Historical & Archaeological Society
Wesley Historical Society - Cumbria Methodist History Society
36 Kirkhead Road
Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria LA11 7DB UK
Telephone: 015395 33865
Website: Wesley Historical Society - Cumbria Methodist History Society
- The Society was formed in 1976 and is one of several Regional Methodist Historical Societies which were originally branches of the Wesley Historical Society, established in 1893. We cover all aspects of Methodist history (including former Methodist denominations) with special emphasis on Cumbria.
Bewcastle Heritage Society
Carlisle, Cumbria CA6 6PD UK
Telephone: 016977 48212/01228 792723
Website: Bewcastle Heritage Society
Caldbeck & District Local History Society
Caldbeck Parish Hall
Caldbeck, Cumbria CA7 8EU UK
Telephone: 016974 78315
Website: Caldbeck & District Local History Society
- We research and record all aspects of Cockermouth’s history, and that of the surrounding area. We collect (or copy) old photographs, as well as artefacts of all kinds that were made, used, or owned in our area. We now have a considerable collection of items, which are used in regular exhibitions at the Kirkgate Centre, or to answer local and family history queries.
Keswick Historical Society Archive Group
Website: Keswick Historical Society Archive Group
- One of the main achievements of the Group is that it has brought people together and has helped those involved to make more friends and contacts through the archive. They will happily welcome more people who have an enthusiasm for their work.
- The Society now has a good collection and archive of varied material relating to many aspects of life, work and industry in Lamplugh and the surrounding district. This archived material is available for the use by community members for research and related purposes.
Lorton & Derwent Fells Local History Society (L&DFLHS)
Yew Tree Hall
Cockermouth, Cumbria CA13 9UJ UK
Telephone: 01900 829812
Website: Lorton & Derwent Fells Local History Society
- We organise talks on local history topics, we organise guided visits to historical sites and other activities such as local historical walks, and we have an archive relating to the area, comprising photos, maps, registers, censuses, surveys and books. This is available to members and used by the public seeking information.
Matterdale Archaeological & Historical Society
Matterdale Church Room
Penrith, Cumbria CA11 0LD UK
Website: Matterdale Archaeological & Historical Society
Millom & District Local History Society
Millom, Cumbria LA18 4DN UK
Telephone: 01229 772055
Website: Millom & District Local History Society
- Millom and District Local History Society meets to listen to experts present real stories of people from all walks of life facing and overcoming challenges and providing inspirational insights into how life has changed in the area.
Warwick Bridge Local History Group
Telephone: 01228 560659
Website: Warwick Bridge Local History Group
- The object of this group shall be the promotion of and the study of the history of Warwick Bridge, in the parish of Wetheral and the surrounding area, and the dissemination of information on it through meetings, publications and other appropriate activities.