Crostwight, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Crostwight, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1698|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CROSTWIGHT (All Saints), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from North Walsham. 
Crostwight. All Saints, is an ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
A small parish church it is noted for its mediaeval wall paintings.
The name of Crostwight is considered to be Old Norse in origin (kross, 'cross' + þveit, 'clearing'). There are seven such names in Norfolk ending in -thwaite, and one in Suffolk, showing early Scandinavian settlement. While the suffix -thwaite was familiar north of the Humber and has survived there, it has been corrupted elsewhere. Forms of Crostwight's name recorded include Crostwit in 1086, Crosthueit in 1198, and Crostweyt in 1810.
Crostwight is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, which spells its name 'Crostwit'. At that time, it was held by Geoffrey [Baynard] under Ralph [Baynard]. TRE (in the time of King Edward the Confessor), twelve freemen at Crostwit had one hundred and 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land, and there were twelve borderers, with 16 acres (65,000 m2) of meadow. The whole was described as one league (leuca) in length and seven furlongs broad. There is a reference to the church of St Benet of Hulme, and the people mentioned include Esger the staller and Geoffrey Baynard.
Crostwight, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Crostwight, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images for the parish registers due to an engineering error in loading do not appear at first glance to be in historic records (formerly Record Search).
The images can be located within the images for Crostwick parish.
Baptisms marriages and burials register 1698-1784 located under Crostwick>Baptisms marriages and Burials 1698-1784
Births and Burials register 1784-1812 located under Crostwick>Baptisms 1784-1812
Banns 1757-1812 and marriages 1757-1812 are located under Crostwick>Banns 1757-1812
Marriages and Banns register 1757-1812 are located under Crostwick >Marriages 1757-1812
Baptisms and burials 1784-1812 are located under Crostwick>Burials 1784-1812
Marriages 1814-1836 are located under Crostwick>Marriages 1814-1834
The images awaiting engineering and reloading correctly and with corrections to parish and register year coverage.
Parish registers, 1698-1836
|Item 19 Baptisms and burials 1698-1784 Marriages 1698-1756 Item 20 Baptisms and burials 1784-1812 Item 21 Marriages and banns 1757-1812 Item 22 Marriages 1814-1836|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1596232 Items 19-22
Transcript of 1664 Hearth Tax http://www.doun.org/transcriptions/documents.php?register_id=168&district_id=22&document_type=720
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Crostwight.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
- Tunstead http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- Norfolk: Crostwight on GenUKI
- Crostwight All Saints on A Church Near You.
- Crostwight (All Saints) British History online
- Crosswight Norfolk Churches website
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 733-737. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.