Crook County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Crook County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Crook County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||October 24, 1882|
|Address|| Crook County Courthouse|
300 NE 3rd, Rm 3
Prineville, OR 97754
|Named for: Gen. George Crook|
- 1 County Information
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Archives and Libraries
- 3.2 Cemeteries
- 3.3 Census
- 3.4 Church History and Records
- 3.5 Court Records
- 3.6 Gazetteers
- 3.7 History
- 3.8 Land and Property
- 3.9 Maps
- 3.10 Military History and Records
- 3.11 Newspapers
- 3.12 Probate
- 3.13 Rivers and Waterways
- 3.14 Taxation
- 3.15 Vital Records
- 4 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
Crook County, Oregon Record Dates
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the CrookCounty Court House as of June 2008.
Crook County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
- Record Loss:
Named for Gen. George Crook, American general in Civil War and Indian Wars.
17 February 1899: Wheeler County was set off.
12 December 1914: Jefferson County was set off
13 December 1916: Deschutes County was set off.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Crook County Historical Society
246 North Main Street
Prineville, Oregon 97754
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Prineville Oregon Family History Center333 SE Idlewood Prineville OR 97754 United States Location Map
- Crook County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Crook County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Crook County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crook County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL CollectionHandybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)