Cromer, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Cromer, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1689|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CROMER (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 21 miles (N.) from Norwich, and 130 (N. N. E.) from London.  Cromer St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich. There is an extensive history written by Christopher Pipe and published by Poppyland Publishing, however, their website provides a considerable amount of information on this parish.
Non-denominations idenified her are Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: email@example.com
Cromer, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cromer, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 523.
They are on film numbers:
- Baptisms and burials, 1689-1785; marriages, 1696-1755. Baptisms and burials, 1785-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1838. Baptisms, 1838-1859. Baptisms, 1859-1898. Baptisms, 1898-1901. Marriages, 1757-1812; banns, 1757-1816. Marriages, 1813-1837. Marriages, 1837-1894: Film # 1597127 Items 27-35.
- Marriages, 1894-1899. Marriages, 1899-1901. Burials, 1813-1853. Burials, 1853-1909. Banns, 1823-1877. Banns, 1878-1904. Film # 1597128 Items 1-6
- Archdeacons Transcripts are available online at our Historical Record collections. The film # 1526816 Item 4 which covers Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1728, 1757-1812.
- Cromer Old Cemetery, Holt Rd., 1830-1960: Monumental Inscriptions: 2299458 Items 10-11.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Cromer.htm transcript of 1891 census
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- The History of Cromer and Its People
- Norfolk: Cromer on GenUKI
- Cromer on Wikipedia
- Cromer Norfolk on A Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 729-733. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.