Croatia, Church Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Croatia Church Books, 1516-1994
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Croatia|
|Record Type:||Church Books|
|Title in the Language:||Hrvatska -Crkvene Knjig|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes baptismal, marriage, and burial records from different churches in Croatia, such as Roman Catholic, Serbian Orthodox, Jewish, and Military congregations, for the years 1516-1994. It also includes vital records of Jews and some early civil registration of the Napoleonic period. Indexing for some of these records is also available.
This collection dates to a period when Croatia was not yet an independent country, so it includes records created under different governments, such as Hungary and the former Yugoslavia. A patent, ruled by Emperor Joseph II in 1784, mandated the inclusion of certain sections in all parish record books maintained by the clergy. These register records were later used also as civil vital records. As of 1868, the Ministry of Internal Affairs took over the right to supervise the maintenance of these records.
For a list of records by religion currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Reading these Records
These records are written in Croatian. For help reading these records see the following:
- Croatian Glagolitic Script
- Serbo-Croatian Genealogical Word List
- Croatia Language and Languages
- Croatian Roots
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Croatia, Church Books, 1516-1994.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Year of the record
As you search, compare your results with this information to find a match.
Search the index
View the images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Religion
- Select Place
- Select Event Types/year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Croatia, Church Books, 1516-1994. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Croatia Record Finder to find other records
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the records of nearby localities
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Croatia.
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Croatia, Church Books, 1516-1994." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Arhiva Hrvatske u Zagrebu (Croatia State Archives, Zagreb).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.