Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Crawford County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Crawford County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 9, 1822|
|Address|| Crawford County Courthouse|
PO Box 1059
Roberta, GA 31078
Crawford County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Crawford County, Georgia Record Dates
Crawford County Courthouse
PO Box 1059
Roberta, GA 31078
Crawford County Courthouse
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1850 and land records.
Clerk of Superior Court
100 GA Hwy 42 South
Knoxville, GA 31050
Phone: (478) 836-3328
Probate Court of Crawford County
100 GA Highway 42 S
Knoxville, GA 31050
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1830. The courthouse at Knoxville burned 18 February 1830. The probate and land records were lost. The marriage book survived.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Crawford County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia Military - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company E
- - 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company C
- - 28th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company C
- - 45th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company K
- - 57th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1835-1857, 1852-1894 - Index to Will Bk A, 1835-1857; Bk B, 1852-1894 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1874-1898 - Index to Bonds (Guardianships, Administrators), Bk 2, 1874-1898 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1836-1837 - Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1836-1837 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1835-1852 - Wills 1835-1852 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
- 1560-1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1885 - 1886 - (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1823 - 1888 - Crawford County Marriage Books A1 and A2 Index 1823-1888. Batch M712611 at FamilySearch - free. Please note: The records accessed by the Batch Number mistakenly indicate, in the Events column "Ouachita, Arkansas" rather than "Crawford, Georgia". However, the records are for Crawford County Georgia.
- 1873 - 1902 - Crawford County Marriage Books B, C, and 5 Index 1873-1902. Batch M712612 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1898 - 1955 - Crawford County Marriage Books 6 and 7 Index 1898-1955. Batch M002527 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1909 - 1943 - Crawford County Marriage Book 8 Index 1909-1943. Batch M002528 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1942 - Crawford County Marriage Books B, C, and 5 Index 1942. Batch M712612 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70 - Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry $
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Crawford County Historical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Crawford County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Crawford County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crawford County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 24. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.