Cranwich, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Cranwich, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thetford|
|Parish registers: 1732|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CRANWICH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N.) from Brandon. 
Cranwich is a village and civil parish in the Breckland district of Norfolk and has one of the 124 surviving round tower churches of Norfolk Cranwich Wikipedia
Cranwich St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
A Saxon round tower thatched medieval church, the Church of St Mary Cranwich has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building.
Images and a history of the Church are available at Simon Knott's website Norfolk Churches
Frances Blomfield An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 2 (1805), pp. 222-228. at British History Online
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Thetford 1837-1938
- Wayland 1939-1974
Cranwich, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cranwich, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1732-1812||Undefined||1732-1810, 1817-1836||Undefined||1732-1812|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 173/1-4
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Cranwich on GenUKI
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 717-720. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.