Court of the Peculiar of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
The following article is about probate records in the county of Devon. A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Devonshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records. Then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
Calendars of wills and administrations relating to the counties of Devon and Cornwall : proved in the Court of the principal registry of the Bishop of Exeter, 1559-1799. And of Devon only, proved in the Court of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, 1540-1799.
Virtually all records for this court were destroyed in 1942, but don't give up until you have searched the manuscript collections and all other possible courts. These include:
- Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Episcopal Principal Registry of Exeter
- Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury
Copies of some post-1796 probates may have been deposited in the Estate Duty Registers.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
This court had jurisdiction over the following parishes.
|Bishop's Nympton||Bishop's Teignton||Chudleigh||Crediton|
|Swimbridge||Bishop's Tawton||West Teignmouth||.|