Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of York in Hexham and Hexhamshire
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has the following on film. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Index to Hexhamshire wills held at the Borthwick Institute : index of York wills probably relating to Hexham district, in two parts, 1688-1745 and 1746-1799
Northumberland Collections Service
Northumberland NE61 2EF
Tel: 0845 600 6400
Fax: 01670 511 413
Register of wills and inventories, 1694-1706.
Family History Library Records
Allendale, West Allen, St. Peter's Allenheads, St. Mary Bingfield, Hexham, St. John Lee, Ninebanks, St. Oswald's and Whitley. There are further records of this court in York.