Court of the Peculiar of Writtle with Roxwell
Return to the Essex Probate Records page.
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Essex County Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Or, you can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
A general will index for Essex County is available online. This single index consolidates just about all Essex county wills of the various probate court jurisdictions into one database.
- 1505-1916 - Essex Wills Beneficiaries Index, 1505-1916, online at findmypast. Includes Bishop of London's Commissary Court (Essex & Hertfordshire), Archdeaconry Court of Colchester, Archdeaconry Court of Essex, Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex (Essex & Hertfordshire), Peculiar Court of Deanery of Bocking, Peculiar Court of Good Easter, Peculiar Court of the Sokens, Peculiar Court of Writtle with Roxwell.
Printed and Published Indexes
If the indexes on the Internet do not produce possible wills for your ancestors, look in the published indexes listed here.
The Essex County Record Office compiled and published a complete surname index covering wills and administrations from eight Essex County probate courts including this court. The index is available in three volumns at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
- Emmison, F. G., ed. [Index to] Wills at Chelmsford. London: s.n., 1961, by the British Record Society. (FHL book 942 B4b vols. 78, 79 & 84; also on microfilms 0962739 and 0962740, and on microfiche 6073796, 6073797, and 6073802.)
Original handwritten indexes:
The Peculiar Court of Writtle with Roxwell has indexes covering Registered Wills and Original Administrations:
Microfilmed Indexes available at the Family History Library:
Original (Unregistered) Wills as well as extant indexes for this court are available on microfilm at the Family History Library and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers (see the Peculiar Court of Good Easter), or go to this FamilySearch Catalog page.
Original (Unregistered) Wills and Registered Wills as well as extant indexes for this court are available on microfilm at the Family History Library and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers (see Court of the Peculiar of the Deanry of Bocking), or go to FamilySearch Catalog entry for this court.
- Emmison, F. G., ed. [Index to] Wills at Chelmsford. London: s.n., 1961, by the British Record Society. (see FHL book 942 B4b vols. 78, 79 & 84; also on microfilms 0962739 and 0962740, and on microfiche 6073796, 6073797, and 6073802
Essex Record Office
Archives & Museums
Chelmsford CM12 6YT
Telephone (01245) 244644
Website: Essex County Record Office
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Calendar of registered & Unregistered Wills & Admons 1618-1851
Original Wills & Administrations 1661-1847
Inventories 1635-1749 - available via Family History Library in book form and microfilm
Registered Wills & Administrations 1689-1851
Family History Library Records
Wills & Administrations 1618, 1638-1639, 1651, 1657, 1659-1661, 1689-1851
Probate records of the Peculiar Court of Writtell with Roxwell were transferred back to Chelmsford to the County Hall, where they reside today.
These records date from 1618 to 1857 and cover only this Essex parish.
Always search the probate courts of higher jurisdiction, if a search in this court proves unsuccessful. Search those court listed in priority under "Writtle with Roxwell" in the alphabetical "Parishes" list on the "England Probate Court" main page.
To view a list of all Essex parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Essex Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Essex Probate Records.