Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact the archives (see below for contact information) and either make a personal visit to the archives or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library to view microfilm copies of wills and admons.
The the Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising probate records have to some extent been indexed in the following:
Will indexes for Norfolk probates which covers much of the county and in part this probate court are as follows:
Printed and Published Indexes
The Norfolk Record Office has indexed a considerable number of the wills from this court and the index is available in the following:
- Index of wills proved in the Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising, compiled by Patrick Palgrave-Moore in FHL book call #942.61 B4m vol. 16. These are probate indexes covering the years 1639-1720.
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Original Wills 1639-1692
Original Wills & Administrations 1703-1720
Family History Library Records
Inventories 1703-1720 (Information for the film is under Film notes).
The Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising held jurisdiction over the following parishes in County Norfolk:
Castle Rising, Roydon, North Wootton and South Wootton.