Court of the Peculiar Parish of Monks Risborough
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Buckinghamshire Record Office (see below address and contact information), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here is a partial index to Oxfordshire wills from 1550-1590 online.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Oxfordshire Record Society has published a probate index covering the years 1547-1856 (Langford probates may not go as late as this time period), entitled Index to the probate records of the courts of the bishop and archdeacon of Oxford, 1733-1857, c1997 (see the heading below, "Indexes in The Family History Library")
Family History Library Indexes
- Index to the probate records of the courts of the bishop and archdeacon of Oxford, 1733-1857
- Index to the Wills & Administrations of the Peculiar Courts 1550-1858 The records of this court may not provide information as late as 1858.
- Index to the wills & administrations of the Peculiar Courts of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire & Oxfordshire 1550-1858
The original records are deposited at:
Buckinghamshire HP20 1UU
Tel: 44 (0)1296 382587
The records held there include:
- Filed Wills 1605-1856
- Register Wills & Administrations (Admons) 1736-1856
- Register of Wills & Administrations 1698-1733 (see under Banbury, Oxfordshire)
- Administration Act Book 1674-1856 (see under Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire)
Family History Library Records
Some records have been microfilmed and made available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through its satellite family history centers. They include:
- Filed Wills 1605-1856
- Original (filed) wills and administration bonds 1605-1856
- Registered Wills & Administrations 1736-1856
- Registered Wills and Administrations 1698-1733
This peculiar court held jurisdiction over the Monks Risborough and its hamlets, plus Halton Parish; and over the parish of Newington with Britwell Prior in Oxfordshire. This court lies within the Peculiar [court] of the Archbishop of Canterbury.