Court of the Peculiar Parish of Langford
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Oxfordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Index[edit | edit source]
Here is a partial index to Oxfordshire wills from 1550-1590 online.
Printed Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Oxfordshire Record Society has published a probate index covering the years 1547-1856 (Langford probates may not go as late as this time period), entitled Index to the probate records of the courts of the bishop and archdeacon of Oxford, 1733-1857, c1997 (see the heading below, "Indexes in The Family History Library")
Indexes at The Family History Library[edit | edit source]
- Index to the probate records of the Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Oxford, 1733-1857; and of the Oxfordshire peculiars, 1547-1856
- Index to Registered Wills & Administrations 1698-1733
- Index to the Wills & Administrations 1550-1858 The records of this court may not provide information as late of 1858
The Records[edit | edit source]
The original records are deposited at:
St Luke's Church
Oxford OX4 2HT.
Tel: 44 (0)1865 398200
Fax: 44 (0)1865 398201
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Probate Records of This Court Held in This Archive[edit | edit source]
The records held there include:
- Filed Wills 1560-1576; 1607-1833
- Register Wills 1590 (1 will); 1698-1733
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library[edit | edit source]
Some records have been microfilmed and made available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through its satellite family history centers. They include:
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This court is a prebend of Lincoln and jurisdiction covers Langford and Little Faringdon.