County Kilkenny, Ireland Genealogy
|Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Ireland Record Types|
|Ireland Local Research Resources|
Guide to County Kilkenny ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Kilkenny is an inland county in the province of Leinster. The name Kilkenny is taken from the Gaelic Cill Cheannaigh, which translates as the Church of Canice. St. Canice established a monastery in the area during the sixth century and St. Canice's Cathedral was built in Kilkenny City during the thirteenth century; the second largest cathedral in “Ireland”. The county covers 796 square miles (2,062 sq km). Its length is 45 miles from the bend of the river Suir (west of Waterford City) to the north at the townland of Clogh. Its breadth is 23 miles.
In the early seventeenth century, Kilkenny City became the meeting place of an independent Irish government, called the Confederation of Kilkenny, which was created in opposition to the English-controlled parliament in Dublin. This rebellion ended in 1650 by Cromwell. Cromwell used the St. Canice's Cathedral in Kilkenny City to house his horses. Cromwell’s army brought to a close what is arguably the most distinguished period in the county’s history when the Confederation fell.
The population was 181,946 in 1821 and grew to 202,420 in 1841. It then began to decrease to 158,748 in 1851 and was only 70,965 in 1926. In 2006, the population was 87,558. The predominant religion in the county is Roman Catholic. In 1861, 94.9% of the population was Roman Catholic followed by the Church of Ireland at 4.8% with 0.2% being Presbyterian and 0.1% being Methodists. Overtime there has been little change in the percentage of religous preference. In 1911, Roman Catholics represented 94.97%% of the populaton; the Church of Ireland was 4.48% with 0.28% and 0.10% being Presbyterian and Methodist, respectively.
General County Research Information
Further information about County Kilkenny is available at:
Information provided by the 1847 edition of Samuel Lewis' "Topigraphical Dictionary of Ireland."
Archives and Libraries
Kilkenny City Library
John's Quay, Kilkenny
Transcribed by the late E. Walsh Kelly and edited by Ffolliott, Rosemary. The 1821 Census Returns for the Parishes of Aglish and Portnascully. Covers Aglish Townland, Ballyslough (Mountneill Townland) Portnahully Townland, Parish of Portnascully, Curlody Townland, Grengrant Townland, Liquidstown Townland, Luffany Townland, Portnasully Townland.1821 only. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol. VIII.no.2.1976, pages 113-124. Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v7-8.
Civil Jurisdictions and Parish Research Information
- 1845-1913 - Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1845-1958 - Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Contributed by Walton, Julian C. Inhabitants of Graige and Knocktopher, Co. Kilkenny in 1797. List of principle householders in Graige a.k.a. Graiguenamanagh and Knocktopher. A declaration of loyalty which were occasioned by the increasing activities of secret societies. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol. X. no.2. 1978, pages 73-76, Family History Library Ref. Salt Lake City, 941.5 B2i vol 10-11.
1885 County Map: Courtesy of London Ancestor
Tullaherin Heritage Society
Kilkenny Archaeological Society
Website:Kilkenny Archaeological Society
To view a list of Kilkenny web sites, visit FHLFavorites.info