Cooperstown, Otsego County, New York Genealogy
- 1 Quick Facts
- 2 Resources
- 3 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
Quick FactsCooperstown is a village in Otsego County, New York, USA. It is located in the Town of Otsego.
The Village of Cooperstown is the county seat of Otsego County, New York. Most of the village lies inside the Town of Otsego, but part is inside the Town of Middlefield.
The village was part of the Cooper Patent, which Judge William Cooper purchased in 1785 from Colonel George Croghan. The land amounted to 10,000 acres (40 km2). Judge Cooper was the father of renowned American author James Fenimore Cooper, author of The Leatherstocking Tales.
The Village of Cooperstown was established in 1786, laid out by surveyor William Ellison. The village was established while still part of Montgomery County. It was incorporated (as the "Village of Otsego") on April 3, 1807. The name was legally changed to "Village of Cooperstown" in 1812. Cooperstown is one of only twelve villages in New York still incorporated under a charter, the other villages having incorporated or re-incorporated under the provisions of Village Law.
Village of Cooperstown
P. O. Box 346
Cooperstown, NY 13326
Attn: Village Clerk
- William Cooper's town : power and persuasion on the frontier of the early American republic FHL
Centennial celebrations, etc.
- To commemorate the foundation of the village of Cooperstown and its corporate existence of one hundred years : this memorial celebration was held August 4th-10th, 1907 FHL
Church History and Records
- Barber, Gertrude A. Records of Christ Church at Cooperstown, Otsego County, N.Y. 1933. Digital version at Ancestry ($). Baptisms, marriages, deaths.
- Early Cooperstown and the Methodist Episcopal Church FHL
- 1800-1870 - First Presbyterian Church Member List 1800-1870, Cooperstown, courtesy: NYGenWeb - free.
- Records of the First Presbyterian Church of Cherry Valley FHL
session records, 1804
elders of the church, 1804-1840
members of the church 1804-1820
members received, 1807-1839
members dismissed, suspended, excommunicated, 1812-1840
copy of marriages kept by Miss Eliza Davis, 1878-1883
copies of death records, 1850-1898
and abstracts from the minutes of the trustees, 1785-1814
- Computer printout of Cooperstown, Presbyterian Church FHL
- Presbyterian Church, Cooperstowncomputer printout; births or christenings, 1800-1863 FHL
- Presbyterian Church, Cooperstowncomputer printout; marriages, 1800-1863 FHL
- Cooperstown (New York) city directories FHL
- Oneonta (New York) city directories (including Cooperstown) FHL
- Oneonta, including Oneonta Plains, East End, South Side and West Oneonta and Cooperstown, New York, directory : including Laurens, Mt. Vision, Hartwick, Milford, Portlandville, Colliers and Hartwick Seminary, containing a general directory of the citizens, classified business directory FHL
- A centennial offering: being a brief history of Cooperstown with a biographical sketch of James Fenimore Cooper FHL
- The chronicles of Cooperstown Worldcat | FHL
- A condensed history of Cooperstown: with a biographical sketch of J. Fenimore Cooper FHL
- Cooperstown FHL
- Gleams from the Glimmerglass Worldcat #1 | Worldcat #2 | FHL
- A history of Cooperstown: including "The Chronicles of Cooperstown" by James Fenimore Cooper; "The History of Cooperstown, 1839-1886" by Samuel M. Shaw; [and] "This History of Cooperstown, 1886-1929" by Walter R. Littell FHL
- The story of Cooperstown : with seventy illustrations from photographs FHL
Old Fulton NY Post Cards has the largest online collection of 400 New York 1795-2007 newspapers. The instructions for this quirky site are needed to get the most out of it.
Old Fulton NY Post Cards has the following Cooperstown, Otsego County, New York Genealogy newspaper images:
- Cooperstown NY Otsego Farmer 1885-1962
- Cooperstown NY The Glimmerglass 1909-1937
- American Ancestors.org site you can search by name, a volume compiled by Gertrude A. Barber in 1933 containing records abstracted from the following nineteenth-century newspapers.
The Cooperstown Federalist was published from 1809 to 1817. The Watch Tower began publishing in 1813 in Cherry Valley before moving to Cooperstown the following year. It ceased operations in 1831.
- Death Notices from the Cooperstown Federalist, 1808-09
- Marriage Notices from the Cooperstown Federalist, 1808-12
- Death Notices from the Watch Tower, 1828-31
- Marriage Notices from the Watch Tower, 1828-1831
- Death notices copied from the "Cooperstown federalist": from 1808-1809; Death notices copied from "Watch tower": from 1828-1831, deaths pp. 1-11; Marriage notices copied from "Cooperstown federalist": from 1808-1812; Marriage notices copied from "Watch tower": from 1828-1831, marriages pp. 12-26 FHL
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- New York State Historical Association
Wikipedia: New York State Historical Association
- National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
Wikipedia: National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Farmers' Museum
Wikipedia: Farmers' Museum