Cook County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Cook County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cook County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||November 3, 1874|
|County Seat||Grand Marais|
|Address|| Cook County Courthouse|
411 West 2nd Street
Grand Marais, MN 55604
Phone: 218-387-3610 (Administration)
Cook County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Cook County, Minnesota Record Dates
County Recorder has birth and death records from 1900,
marriage records from 1901, land records from 1886
and military records from 1919
Court Administrator has divorce, court and probate records. 
- 1874--Cook County was created 3 November 1874 from Lake County. County seat: Grand Marais 
- For a brief history of how Cook County was named, click here, then select Cook County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Lutsen Township | Schroeder Township | Tofte Township
East Cook | Grand Portage | West Cook
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- Cook County cemeteries from rootsweb.
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Cook – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Cook County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cook County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Cook County Historical Society
PO Box 1293
Grand Marais 55604-1293
Telephone: 218 387-2883
Johnson Heritage Post
PO Box 35
Grand Marais MN 55604-0035
Telephone: 218 387-2314 or 218 388-0575
North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum & Tofte Historical Society
PO Box 2312
Tofte MN 55615-2312
Telephone: 218 663-7804
Schroeder Area Historical Society
PO Box 337
7932 West Highway 61
Telephone: 218 663-770
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cook County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Cook County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cook County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Cook County
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cook County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).